If you're just looking for a way to quickly punch up your slideshow, you can make it more interesting by adding background music that matches your topic. Background music can be found and downloaded for free on the Internet and easily inserted into your presentation. Here's how to find the resources you'll need to make your slideshow really stand out:
- Make sure the file is supported. PowerPoint only supports some sound clip formats such as .MID (MIDI), .AIFF, and .MP3. Some formats require special players and setup so make sure you have the correct players for the music you want to play. You also have the option of converting files to a file that is supported. When you download background music selections, make sure that they fit one of these formats or you know you will be able to convert the file.
- Decide what style of music you need. Before you even begin searching, you need to decide what type of music you want to play during your presentation. If this is a fun, casual presentation, then just about anything will do. If it is more professional, you may want to choose generic music and make sure that the selection isn't offensive. If you will be speaking during the presentation, the volume should be adjusted accordingly. In general, soft music that loops is a good choice.
- Visit a website that has free music downloads. There are several websites out there that let you download background music specifically for PowerPoint presentations. BrainyBetty and RoyaltyFreeMusic are two of them. You can also perform a simple Internet search to locate more sites.
- Use what you already have. Before you go searching for for new music, don't overlook the fact that you may already have tons of CDs and MP3s. Most local libraries also have CDs you can check out for free. You will need to convert your CD to a playable format so it will play in your presentation. MyMusicInc can do this for you. It's important to note that you must have the copyright owner's permission before using the music.
- Insert your new music. Once you have located and downloaded your favorite selection, it needs to be inserted into your presentation. This is very simple to do: Just go to "Insert," "Movies and Sound," and then "Sound" from the File menu. Select your saved music file and it will be placed in your presentation. You can use the settings to set the volume to just the level that you want it.
Now you know your options. You can easily download music online, or change the format of music you already own. Once you have found the right sound for your PowerPoint presentation, you can provide your audience with an exciting and intriguing show.