Simply put, a video blog is a weblog that uses videos. The video may be posted directly to the site for immediate viewing or it may be downloaded for later viewing on a computer or portable device such as a video iPod. Deciding to start a video blog involves a large time commitment up front but is well worth the effort.
- Decide if a Blog is Right for You. As mentioned, starting a blog will take some time. Before you make up your mind, make sure that a blog will meet your needs. There are many different reasons to start a video blog: To communicate with friends and family, to teach others something new, to use as a media outlet, to document current world happenings, to promote a product or service, and last but not least, to express yourself and your ideas. If you feel that what you were intending to write about fits into one of these categories or with the overall theme of a video blog, then you can move on to the next step....starting your video blog.
- Preparing for Your Blog. Once you are sure a blog fits your needs, it is time to start the process of creating your video blog. The first step in this process is to prepare everything you will need to get your blog started. Obviously you are going to need a computer with adequate resources. This means your computer will be able to handle the programs your blog will require. You will also need a high speed Internet connection. This is what allows you to post your blog to the Internet most efficiently. A video recording device of some kind is also necessary. This can be either a webcam or a digital camera. It doesn't matter which one you choose as long as you can upload the picture to the computer. Finally, you will need a video editing program such as iMovie or Windows Movie Maker.
- Finding a Blog Host. If you don't have a blog yet, now is the time to get one. For a free blog, one of the best sites to use is Blogger.com. Blogger has all of the features you will need for your video blog and also has an RSS or Atom feed. RSS and Atom are ways for people to subscribe to your blog and enables them to know when it is updated. If you decide you want to use a site other than Blogger, make sure it features one of these types of feeds. Blogger's registration process is very simple and the site is easy to navigate. Specifics on posting on Blogger will not be discussed here but can be found on the Blogger website.
- What to Put In Your Video Blog. Now that you have a blog, it is time to start posting. But what should you put in your blog? This is a question that many inexperienced bloggers have trouble answering. The answer: Blog about anything. You are your own boss and it is up to you what you blog about. You can start your own story and keep adding on to it, or you can film anything you feel others will want to see. Some people will use their vblog (short for video blog) as a personal diary to express the happenings of their life while others use it for just about anything you can imagine. What goes into your blog is completely up to you. Brainstorm a list of ideas so you won't run out, and last but not least, have fun blogging!
- Posting Your Blog. Once you have made and edited your video to your liking, you will then need to find an online video host. Some great options include ZippyVideos and Dropshots. These hosts will allow you to upload your videos to their websites and eventually post the video to your blog. Follow the instructions on the website to upload your video. After it is uploaded, the website will provide you with a link which you will have to copy and paste into the body of your blog message. The video will then appear on your blog.