Ever seen this error when trying to update your MS Access database from ASP.NET?
When developing a website you may find that everything is working fine, until that is you come to the point where you need to update table rows or insert new rows, at which point you may be presented with the following error.
ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query
The cause of this is lack of permissions for the ASPNET user to write to the folder. To remedy this situation follow these steps
- Open the file explorer
- Tools menu
- Options menu
- Click the [View] tab
- Uncheck "Use simple file sharing"
- Click OK
- Find the folder in which your MDB file is kept
- Right-click the folder
- Select "Sharing and security"
- Click the [Security] tab
- Click the Add button
- Click the Advanced button
- Click the Find Now button
- Select the ASPNET user and click OK
- In the checkboxes at the bottom of the form, give this user Full Control