Knowledge in x-ray technology can open many doors for employment as well as allow you to make more income than you may have imagined. Sounds enticing, right? Well, you're not alone. This fact makes a lot of people consider enrolling in radiology training at an x-ray technical school. Who doesn't want a career right after graduation? Who doesn't want a high-paying job? Everyone wants these things in life. So why is it that only a small fraction of those who really want to get an x-ray technician education actually enroll? It’s because of the costs. This article will help you learn the costs that are involved in attending x-ray technician school.
Attending x-ray technician classes can be either cheap or expensive. A private college will charge more for tuition than a traditional university. In addition, you can choose to complete this degree by enrolling in an online university.
Do not let money get in the way of an education. The value of an x-ray technician education varies depending on certain factors:
- Duration of the X-Ray Technician Course. An x-ray technician program can be completed in one, two, or four year terms; which will contribute to the costs. A one year x-ray technician training program earns you a certificate in radiology. A two year program gives you an associate’s degree. While a four year term earns you a bachelor’s degree. The cost of your education will rise depending on the number of years you want to attend.
- Gaining a Specialty. Some people who have a bachelor’s degree in x-ray technician education choose to attend an associate program or add additional courses like anatomy and darkroom procedures to their schedule. Taking advantage of these curriculum offerings is a must for some to better enhance their knowledge and skills. This kind of specialized study costs more as compared to other forms of training.
- Institution. There are many schools that offer x-ray technician classes. Most of their rates are basically similar when factoring all the costs involved in obtaining a college degree. However, you can still search for schools that have cheaper rates. And also, you can get online enrollment information so you can compare prices between a traditional school, private college, and an online university.
- School Location and Living Conditions. The location of the school greatly affects the cost of education. Say for example you live in Long Island, New York. If you enroll in a school just within the state and live on campus, the approximate yearly cost of your schooling is $14,000 per year. On the other hand, if you will be living in your own home, you will need to spend around $7,000 per year. Meanwhile, if you want to go off of Long Island and enroll in an institution in another state and live on campus there, you will end up paying around $15,000 annually.
Choosing Your X-Ray Tech School. Indeed, there are a lot of misconceptions regarding how much is needed to be a part of an x-ray technician program. It has a reputation as being an expensive education. However, that might be just a myth. Once you learn how to become an x-ray technician, you'll realize the money has been well spent. Here are your basic degree options:
- Basic X-Ray Technician Certificate. You must have a high school diploma as well as algebra and chemistry course credits in order to enroll in this program. This will teach you the beginning skills needed to work as an x-ray technician. You will learn how to protect and place a patient on the table as well as how to work the equipment used in this industry.
- X-Ray Technician Associates Degree. You must have a high school diploma as well as algebra and chemistry course credits in order to enroll in this program. This will teach you the skills needed to work as an x-ray technician. You will learn how to protect and place a patient on the table as well as how to work the equipment used in this industry. With this degree you will also be taught how to create and maintain the files for each patient. Also, you will gain more in-depth knowledge of the machines used in this profession.
- X-Ray Technician Bachelors Degree. You must have an associates degree in radiology in order to enroll in this program. A Bachelors degree in radiology training will allow you to obtain any job that you want. Oftentimes those with a certificate or associates degree in x-ray technology must work in hospitals that pay less. This degree will allow you to seek out higher paying positions.
From the benefits outlined above, it is clear that the best course of action is to get a 4 year degree. And of course this is the most expensive route. However, the salary that you can receive once you are employed can easily pay off the cost.
Right now, the average annual salary of x-ray technicians is around $40,000 to $50,000. And the figures will definitely rise once you get more knowledge and experience in the industry. Your education will always be one big investment in finding the best careers in the future and with the advances in online learning you can now complete most of your coursework online. Either way, every success in this field starts with an education from an x-ray technician school.