English is the second most spoken language in the world, next to Mandarin Chinese. Therefore, it is very important to learn this language. A lot of schools in other countries don't offer the English language as a part of their regular curriculum. You have to either get it as an elective subject, or learn it outside your academic school. This is why English online tutors are very much high in demand nowadays. This is a good way to earn extra if you're qualified to teach the English language. Here are some tips on how you could become an English online tutor.
- Get certifications. If you don't have an English related degree, you can get certifications like the one from IELTS, the International English Language Testing System. They do an international standardized test for English proficiency. Their test is recognized by more than 6,000 institutions across 120 countries. IELTS was established in 1989, and is being managed by the University of Cambridge ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) Examinations, the British Council, and IDP Education Pty. Ltd. You can visit their website at ielts.org for more information on test schedules in your nearest area.
- Look for companies offering online tutoring for the English language. You can do this either by looking at classified ads in newspapers or periodicals, or online. There are companies that will require you to work on their premises, but there are also some that will let you work at home, requiring you to download their software or programs that will aid you in online tutoring. Here are some websites that you can visit if you are looking for a job as an English online tutor.
- Tutor. This website offers work-at-home jobs as an English online tutor. Aside from English, they also offer tutoring services for Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Earth Science, Essay Writing, Proofreading, Research, U.S. History, and World History subjects. They guarantee a one-to-one tutoring session, and a secure, private learning environment since tutors will only know a student's first name. You can visit their website at tutor.com.
- eHomework Help. Based in Indiana and Pennsylvania, this company provides high quality online tutoring at an affordable price. They offer online tutoring for General Math, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus, Earth Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Social Studies, and Language Arts subjects. You can visit their website at ehomeworkhelp.com.
- Transwebtutors. They offer online classes for Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Economics, Statistics, Finance, Accounts and financial Accounting, and Computer Science subjects. They also offer exam preparation for SAT, PSAT, ACT, AP, CLEP, GED, GRE, CAHSEE, STAR, Key Stages 1 to 3, GCSE, AS or A Levels, AS or A Levels Physics, STEPS, REGENTS, TAKS_TEKS, GMAT, MCAT, and DAT. They also offer homework and assignment help in the subjects that they offer for online tutoring, and with business case studies, computer graphics, DBMS, C, C++, and Java. You can visit their website at transwebtutors.com.
- Tutor Vista. This website offers online tutoring for Math, Physics, Biology, English, Chemistry, and Science subjects. Aside from typing in what you learned, you can also learn through the use of an interactive whiteboard. You're guaranteed to have the same tutor every time you study online, and to have detailed assessment tests, and detailed report cards highlighting your areas of improvement. You can visit their website at tutorvista.com.
- English4today. This website offers online English tutoring. They require their tutors to be native English speakers, have credentials to teach English, and to be experienced in teaching and tutoring. You can visit their website at english4today.com.
English online tutor work can also be hard. Aside from time and effort, it also requires your passion for teaching. So if you love to teach, you can definitely try your luck in becoming a tutor.