Graduation marks a young adult’s entry into the real world, and is an important milestone in everyone’s life. Choosing a graduation gift is often tricky. Despite the endless choices available in the market and online, you might still end up giving a generic gift devoid of any personality, or a quirky gift choice, which might end up unused on a shelf. Here are some tips for picking out the best graduation gift.
- Give what they ask for. Even before the graduation, most people already drop hints, if not explicitly state, their graduation wishes. You can easily avoid choosing the wrong gift by directly asking what they want for graduation. This will be their opportunity to ask for the car they’ve always wanted. However if you want to keep your gift a surprise, you can ask their friends to fish for answers. It is important to have at least a general idea of the receiver’s tastes, personality and interests.
- Give something memorable. The value of your gift is not just measured by its monetary value. The best gifts are those that bring memories of good times and laughter. The opportunity to travel with friends will greatly be appreciated by the fresh graduate. Arranging a beach trip remains a classic choice, and this gift will give the receiver and his friends something to reminisce about. Trips to theme parks will appeal to his inner child, while nature trips will give greater appreciation for natural wonders.
- Give something appropriate. As graduation marks the culmination of a person’s college life and his entry into the real world, it is important to give presents, which are appropriate to his future career. Keep usefulness in mind when choosing your graduation gift. For example, medical and nursing graduates will appreciate the high-end stethoscopes, while business and law graduates might find interest in books such as Sun Tzu’s “Art of War”.
- Give something practical. It is important to choose a gift that can be used long after the initial novelty has worn off. Avoid generic gifts such as shirts, CDs and planners, since their usefulness easily wears thin. If the receiver still does not have one, a digital SLR camera or a laptop will make a good choice. If you can afford to do so, giving money will always be greatly appreciated. These gifts have no expiration date, and will continue to be used and appreciated for years after.
- Give something personal. Putting a personal touch on gift greatly increases its sentimental value because it shows the receiver was worth the time and effort you spent in choosing it. Since they are unique, they greatly show your appreciation for the fresh graduate. Direct your creative impulses to craft something special for the receiver. A montage, photo album, or short movie of his years in school will surely earn a special place in his heart. You can also browse online for shops that offer customizable gifts.
Graduation is the most highly anticipated event of every student’s life, and it is important to commemorate this with gifts that herald the fresh graduate’s future. Remember, your gift must reflect a reward for his years of blood, sweat and tears, and wish good luck for his first steps into the real world.