A training course will never be possible without a syllabus or a course outline. With the use of a syllabus, you are not only giving the students a training course but you are also preparing them for future learning experiences. Thus, through the help of training courses and a well-planned syllabus, you will be able to help your students be responsible in their learning tasks. Your syllabus should touch the cognitive (mind), affective (emotions), and psychomotor (skills) aspects of your student's life.
Here are the key elements in creating a syllabus and content for training courses. The following elements may be modified to fit the needs and interests of your students:
- Title Page - The title page includes the following information: title, course number, time and venue for training course, teacher's name, student's name, and some illustrations. Make sure that your illustrations are connected to your topic. For instance, if your topic is supervisor training, you cannot add graphics about family planning. Be sure to make your title page beautiful yet simple.
- Table of Contents - The table of contents will help the teachers, training providers, and students look for data quickly. Remember that a training course includes support materials such as handouts. Making a table of contents is the most practical way to organize your materials. It will take some of your time but it will save more time when it comes to the students retrieving data. Creating a table of contents will also reflect the need to finish the whole course on time.
- Letter to Students - Writing a friendly letter will help you communicate your objectives to the students. Your letter should contain the following information: introduction of yourself, sap and/or overview of the course training, learning objectives, list of training classes, and expectations from students.
- References - Be sure that you include the title of the sources you used in your syllabus. Indicate the complete information of the books, encyclopedias, and online resources that you used. This will allow the students to continue the study even if they already received their course certification or certification training.
- Calendar of Activities - With a calendar, you can train your students to be responsible in their study. In the calendar, you have to include the dates allotted per subject matter, and the due dates for the projects. Creating a calendar will also help your students in advance studies. A calendar will also help your students adjust their schedules. Having a calendar in the syllabus will help you instill the proper time management to students.
- Suggestion Sections - Help the students learn the strategies in learning. You can do this by creating a suggestion section. Through this section, you may take a survey of successful learning styles. Suggestion sections may also encourage students to share their learning styles while helping other students to learn easily.
- Teaching Methods - Allot a page for the list of methods you are going to use in the entire course training. This will prepare the students for what to expect in the class. This will also protect you from dire evaluations from pilot classes.
Now that you know the basic elements of creating a syllabus for training courses, you have to make sure that before using your syllabus, you have it reviewed by other professors or experts in the field. In this case, do not forget that two heads are better than one.