Making a study guide is helpful for students when they are about to take a test. There are different techniques that are used in creating a study guide. You can make charts, draw pictures, use acronyms and other techniques that will help you remember the concepts of the lesson. The study guide can be written on index cards, be presented in a PowerPoint presentation or printed out on pieces of paper.
Here are some tips on how you can create effective study guides:
- Presentation. First, you have to determine where you are going to put the study help. You can write it by hand or you can also print them out on small index cards. It is preferable to print them on index cards so that you can bring the study notes wherever you go.
- Lesson. Write the title of the lesson on the index card. You can make an outline of the important concepts tackled on the lesson. Instead of writing in full sentences, you can write the major ideas as phrases in bullet form. This way, if you have to memorize something, you can just memorize the main parts of the lesson. When writing the study guide, make sure that you start from the beginning of the lesson rather than jumping from lesson to lesson.
- Highlight. Highlight important words on your study guide. This is very useful for character study. If you are dealing with different concepts, you can use different colored highlighter pens to distinguish the different concepts that you are studying. Remember to provide a legend for the colors so that you won’t mix up your color coding.
- Use diagrams. For analysis, you can use graphs, charts and other helpful diagrams that will help you grasp the concept better. Some people are graphic learners, and they retain lessons more when they see them as images. This is helpful, especially if you are dealing with lessons in numbers.
- Essays. Some tests are in essay form. For you to answer essay questions, you must know the relevant information regarding the topic. For essay study, cover the important points of the lesson. You can avoid the little details and concentrate on the ones that were given the most emphasis during class discussions.
- Create sample test. At the end of each study guide, make a sample test that you can answer. If you have a friend that you study with, you can each create a sample test and let the other person answer it. Provide the answers on a separate sheet so that you can check the sample test afterwards.
These are only some of the tips that you can use when you are making a study guide. There are other ways in which you can make a study guide more interesting. You can use different fonts, colors and images. It is better to create a study guide long before the test day so that you can review your lessons ahead of time.