Some students find it hard to spell words correctly. This is especially the case if the words are long or if there are pairs of the same letters in the word they are trying to spell. Learning how to spell words properly needs patience and perseverance. If you have the right attitude, you can quickly learn how to spell words.
Follow these tips to learn how you can spell words properly:
- Set aside time for studying. Set aside time for studying every day. You should stick to your schedule so that you won’t have any excuses not to study. You can mark this down on your daily planner so that you won’t forget.
- Make a list of words to study. Get a pen, paper and the dictionary. List down the correct spelling of the words that you must study. Start out by listing only a few words. Do not force yourself to study the spelling of too many words as this can only make it harder for you. As you get better, you can add more words to your list. Start out with just 10 words. When writing down the words on paper, check if you have listed them down in their proper spelling.
- Write the words down. Practice your spelling by writing down the words on your own. Start with one word and write down the correct spelling over and over on a piece of paper. Doing this will help your memory retain the correct spelling of the word until it comes naturally for you to spell it. After one word, move on to the next until you have finished writing down all the words on your list.
- Use the words in a sentence. Sometimes, using the words in a sentence will help you remember how it is spelled. This can also be useful if you are trying to learn the definition of the word. Write down some sentences using the word and repeat it over and over in your head until you get the spelling right.
- Play a game. If you are learning words for your class, you can call up a friend and review your words together. Make a list of your words and ask each other to spell the words out loud. This can be a fun activity that you can do so that you won’t be so stressed out with studying.
- Review the words. Go through all the words that you have studied for the week. Write them down on your own and check if you have written down all the words with their right spelling. You can now list new words that you want to study for the following week. Just make sure that you go back to your previous words once in a while to review them.
These are the tips that you can follow if you want to learn how to spell
words properly. To improve your spelling skills and your vocabulary,
make it a point to read some books, do crossword puzzles and play word
games. Doing these will greatly improve your spelling.