Popsicle sticks are so commonplace and ordinary-looking that you hardly notice them, except when they are still attached to popsicles. Only very few people know that, with a little bit of creativity, many crafts can be done out of popsicle sticks. One of such wonderful--and surprising--crafts is a popsicle stick kite. In this article, you will learn how to create a kite out of popsicle sticks.
- Lay four pieces of popsicle sticks on a flat surface. The end of each piece should be slightly overlapping the tip of another one. If you arrange the popsicle sticks in this manner, make sure that you form a diamond shape. The common kite is in the shape of a diamond.
- Carefully place a drop of glue on the overlapping tips of the popsicle sticks. You can use construction glue, hot glue, or rubber cement for this. Leave the glue to dry and secure the diamond shape.
- Once the glue dries, you now have the basic frame for your popsicle stick kite. Next thing you need to do is prepare its sail or cover. For this project, you can use tissue paper. Take note that tissue paper, in this case, is not the kind that you use for the toilet. Rather, you are going to use the kind commonly used in crafts. Tissue paper comes in many colors, so choose the color that you like most. You may choose between regular tissue paper or waxed tissue paper.
- Cut out a sheet of tissue paper just about big enough to cover your kite's diamond frame. Place the sheet of tissue paper underneath the diamond frame made of popsicle sticks. Using a pencil, trace the outer shape of the diamond frame. Doing this should transfer the outline of the frame onto the tissue paper.
- Unleash your creativity onto the tissue paper. Decorate it in whatever way that pleases you. You can use various decorations such as handmade drawings (using colored pens, crayons, or markers). You can arrange decorative stickers into a pattern. You can sprinkle some glitter onto the tissue paper. You can cut out small pieces of tissue paper and arrange them onto the surface in some kind of mosaic. Just make sure that the decorative design is within the bounds of the diamond outline.
- Cut the diamond shape along the outline. Make sure that any adhesive or glue has dried first before cutting out the shape.
- Glue or paste the diamond-shaped tissue paper to the diamond frame made of popsicle sticks. Use a very thin layer of glue to secure the sail to your kite. Let the glue dry.
- Finish off your kite by attaching a tail at the lower corner of the frame. For a tail, you can use a ribbon, or even yarn, which you can staple to the frame. Usually, the tail of a kite is about thrice as long as the height of the kite, so you might want to cut the approximate length beforehand.
A craft item made of popsicle sticks, such as this kite, is something that you can use in many ways (e.g., as decorations, as party favors, as place cards, and so on). Working on such a craft can also be fun to do with children.