Parenting involves serious responsibilities and obligations towards promoting the physical, emotional, social, and intellectual development of a child from conception to adulthood. Parents are obligated to secure the basic needs such as food, clothing, and shelter for their offspring in a home environment. These basic needs are translated into factors such as physical security and development, intellectual security and development, and emotional security and development. Aside from these, parents are also to provide their children with financial support and insurance coverage. Parenting can prove to be a difficult job for anyone, with the constant challenge of successfully raising children with discipline, love, and care.
Fortunately, a variety of resources are now available to parents to help in parenting their offspring. Support groups, other family members, print articles, online resources such as parenting sites, and parenting books are among the resources readily available to provide help in parenting. Parenting books that have been reviewed and used by parents have been effective guides to many parents around the world in effectively raising their children. Some of the help that parenting books provide include the following:
- Better communication between parents and children. Books designed to teach parents about their children’s development help both parents and children establish better communication. Parents are taught about children’s feelings, behavior, development, and the impact of other people in their emotional growth.
- Prepare parents as they deal with children in different stages. Children of different ages have different needs and must be dealt with differently. A home with infants, preschoolers, and teenagers is a difficult place for both parents and children.
- Help parents take better care of their children. Part of parenting involves responsibility for a child’s physical, intellectual, and emotional development, and self-help parenting books make it easier for parents to provide their children with their basic needs and sustain their knowledge.
- Provide parenting advice to help reduce stress brought by the difficulty of raising children and a family simultaneously. Most young parents find it difficult to raise children while managing their families, especially if both work outside of their home. Parenting books can help reduce this difficulty while giving parents the help they need.
- For parents of children with special needs, parenting books are effective in helping them learn about their child’s condition and how to deal with it. These books are highly informative and usually reviewed by a scientific expert on such topics.
Parenting is no easy task. It is a process and duty laden with a myriad of responsibilities and obligations. Through time, more parents discover that parenting books helped them tremendously in raising their children into happy, responsible, and caring adults. Using parenting books also helped them raise their children with minimum stress, as both parents and children relax and handle common sources of stress such as divorce, loss of loved ones, moving, a new neighborhood, a new school, and peer pressure. Parenting books have also helped parents teach their children how to develop a positive self-image and learn how to reach out to others.