Being hearing impaired should never hinder anyone from receiving a good education. Besides, there are now hearing devices, listening devices, hearing phones, cell phone amplifiers, and other hearing aid equipment that can help the hearing impaired culture to live a better life. What’s more is that there are many scholarships offered for students with hearing impairment. If you are hearing impaired and want to further your education, then this article is for you. The many scholarships available to you might just be a doorbell that wakes you up and lets financial hope enter your life.
Here are just some of the scholarships offered especially for students that are hearing impaired:
- National Fraternal Society of the Deaf Scholarships nfsd.com. This society offers $1,000 financial assistance for its 10 lucky members. To be eligible, you need to be a member of the society, must be hearing impaired, and must be enrolled or at least accepted in a post-secondary school.
- Sertoma International Scholarships http://www.sertoma.org. They will award $1,000 for 13 chosen scholarship applicants. You can try being one of the 13 if you want to pursue a 4-year degree, must have at least 3.2 cumulative GPA, and have a document proving your hearing impairment.
- Travelers Protective Association of America travelersprotectiveasn.com. Since 1975, this group has been offering scholarships for the hearing impaired. However, this offer is only limited to the residents of USA who are in need of financial assistance.
- Tourism Foundation Yellow Ribbon Scholarship http://www.ntfonline.org. If you are planning to study tourism, travel, or hotel/restaurant management, then this scholarship is perfect for you if your GPA is 3.0.
- Alexander Graham Bell Association www.agbell.org. This association offers undergraduate and graduate study scholarships. But to be a scholar, you must use spoken language as your primary mode of communication and you should be enrolled or have applied as a full-time student in an accredited school.
- Graduate Fellowship Fund http://pr.gallaudet.edu. If you are taking doctoral degrees and in need of some financial support, then this association can help you. You just need to be a student or at least accepted to study in an accredited school.
There are some scholarships for the hearing impaired that are only limited within one state. For instance, the Wisconsin Handicapped Student Grant is for hearing impaired of Wisconsin while the United Way Scholarship for People with Disabilities is only granting scholarships for Minnesota residents. You can check your state’s scholarship grants and programs for the hearing impaired. They might be offering better choices than what you can see online. Also, take note of scholarship applications because sometimes these scholarships have a deadline.
Remember, determination is the key. These scholarships are only some of the proof that you are able compete in your field of study. With your hearing device, hearing phone, listening device, cell phone amplifier, and other hearing aid equipment, studying will never be impossible.