So you want to play all the great Gameboy games on your PC, but you don't know where to start? Don't worry, it's a relatively easy process and within minutes you'll be playing Mario, Tetris, Yu Gi Oh and all the other great titles.
- Make sure your computer can handle the program. This usually isn't a problem for anything made in the last five years, but this gaming requires at least a Pentium 3 or comparable, running at 500MHz or higher. Look in your computer's "System Properties" for this information.
- Find a good Gameboy emulator online. At last count there were over 20 different Gameboy Advance emulators floating around. You only need one! Visual Boy Advance is the best option and the best place to find it is here: http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/gba/vboyadvance.html.
- Download the emulator file. Click on the file "VisualBoyAdvance-1.8.0-beta3" and you will be asked if you want to open it or save it to disk-save it. The file is relatively small and downloads almost instantly.
- Install the emulator. Once the file downloads, click on the "VisualBoyAdvance" icon. When the Extraction Wizard comes up, click "next." Now you can extract all the files either to the default location (in your documents and settings folder) or to your desktop. I personally prefer the desktop because the files are easier to find. Click "next." The files will extract and a window will come up telling you it's done and asking if you'd like to view the files. Of course you would.
- Open the emulator. If you installed the emulator on the desktop, click on the VisualBoyAdvance icon. On Windows XP, your computer will ask you if you are sure you want to run it. Click "run" and the emulator starts.
- Load a game from your folder containing your Gameboy, Gameboy Color, or Gameboy Advance Roms "Start" is Enter (Return). The default settings are sufficient to start play with little or no customizing. You can enjoy full screen by clicking on "File" and then clicking "Full screen." Use these keys to play: Original Button A is now Z on your keyboard; Button B is now X; Button L is now A; Button R is now S; "Select" is Backspace; and "Toggle menu" is ESC. Move using the cursor keys.
I highly recommend getting a gamepad or joystick, which are both easier to use and enhance your gaming experience. Congratulations, you have downloaded and installed the best Gameboy Advance emulator. Enjoy!