Mobile phones usually come with plans. A plan is almost always part of the package. Though, it really is a more convenient and smart buy, there are times when you don't want the combination, just the phone. Here are some quick tips on how to get a plan-less new phone aside from the usual way of buying a prepaid cell phone from the department store, Amazon or eBay.
- Secure one from people you know. This would probably be the easiest and cheapest way. You could even get it for free. Just tell a friend, neighbour, workmate or relative of your situation: that you are badly in need of a new phone but do not want to acquire one with the plan. If they have a functional but idle unit, perfect! Or maybe out of their good heart, they will give you their old phone and buy a new one.
- Online bargains could also be a tool for you to accomplish this task. Get a secondhand deal online. Be cautious of your online purchases, though. You are dealing with strangers and initially this step is a risk. But, you can also find good buys as long as you know how to assure quality and safety. When you choose this route, do not forget to check if the sites are legal, most especially with the money transferring part. Also, if possible, meet with the dealer in person so that you can personally check the product and verify the payment process.
- If you are hesitant of the online purchase option above, you could always choose a safer way. Purchase a brand new phone with an open line straight from the manufacturer. You could communicate with them through phone, email, or through their website. Do not forget to specify that you need an open line phone. You could have it mailed to you, or you could pick it up personally if possible.
- Trading or swapping is also available. In this scheme, you can either exchange your phone plus some cash to match the value of the new phone you are acquiring. Or, you could have a trade without the additional cash anymore. It depends on the person you are having the trade with and the model of the phone. It would be better to have the trade with someone you already know or a referral.
- Ask someone to sign up for you. If you are willing to spend a fortune just to get a new and plan-less phone, you can be as creative as asking someone to acquire a plan for you, get the new phone but discard the new plan.
Whatever option you choose, you need to have a phone that is open line. This will allow you to use your old SIM card with it. In cases where the phone is not open line, contact the network service provider. Ask them that you would want to disconnect their service from the phone. They will allow you if the previous account does not have any unpaid dues or if the phone is not a stolen one. Just cooperate with them. It will still affect your safety and efficiency in using the phone. Another thing is to be cautious in the deals you get into. Make sure that you have additional background of the phone you want to and are about to purchase. An important detail is its market value so that you will get your money’s worth.