On February of 2009, major television networks were required by law to stop broadcasting of analog signals in favor of digital broadcasting. With the transition from analog to digital broadcasting, consumers now have a big question in mind: do I need a new TV set in order to watch television after the digital conversion? No, you actually do not need to purchase a new television set in order to continue watching, all you have to do is convert the digital signal into analog so that you can continue watching your favorite shows. The following explains how you will be able to convert digital cable TV signals so you can watch it on your analog television set.
1. Get your hands on a digital television converter box.
A DTV converter box will enable your analog television to receive digital broadcast. What it does is it transforms the digital TV signal into analog signal, giving you a display resolution of 480i (640x480) and an aspect ration of 4:3 (versus the display resolution of 720p and aspect resolution of 16:9 for HDTV). You can easily obtain a DTV converter box from local electronic retail shops and would cost around $50 to $60.
2. Setup and connect the DTV converter box to work with your television set.
Here are the steps on how to setup and connect the converter box and television set together.
- Take the DTV converter box and place it near your television set.
- Make sure the television turned off, if possible, unplug it from the electric socket.
- Remove the coaxial antenna cable currently connected to your television.
- Take the previously connected coaxial antenna cable from your television and hook it up to the DTV converter box. You will need to plug it on the port that would generally say “Antenna in (RF)”. Make sure to secure the connection before proceeding to the next step.
- Grab the coaxial antenna cable that came with your DTV converter. Take one end of it and hook it up to the DTV converter box. You will need to plug it on the port that would generally say “Out to TV (RF)”.
- Next, take the other end of the coaxial cable and connect it to the RF port on your television.*
- Take the AC adapter for your converter box, connect it to the box and plug it to the electricity.
- Turn both television and converter box on.
Now, all you need to do is take the remote control that came with the converter box and hit “Scan” on it. Doing so will enable the DTV converter box to look for digital broadcasts and convert them into analog signal in order for you to be able to watch it on your analog TV set. Remember, now that you already installed the converter box, you have to use the box’s remote control to change channels.