Have you ever called the customer service line on your mobile phone service provider? You call them and then they tell you to turn off the phone and give you a set of numbers from the phone. This is very frustrating. What makes them think that you know how to get that set of numbers? But you follow their directions. After you turn the mobile phone off, you turn your phone inside out and yet the set of numbers that they speak of remains unseen. You call their customer service line and get put on hold, only to rerun a vicious cycle over and over.
I hope we can clear some of the confusion up for you. For one thing, the set of numbers you are looking for is called the IMEI number or International Mobile Equipment Identity number. It is found on all GSM and UMTS mobile phones. These numbers are used to identify their subscribers, as well as the type of equipment they use.
We would like to help you by giving you this guide on how to find the IMEI number on a mobile phone. Follow these steps and you won’t have trouble finding the IMEI number again.
- Make sure your phone is on. You need to keep the phone on because you will have to get the numbers by keying in a code in your mobile. If you just got off of a call, then go back to the starting screen or the desktop.
- Put in the code. In this step, you will need to plug in a certain code into your phone to get the desired number. Generally you can press * # - 0 - 6 - # to get the code. For other handsets like Motorola iDen units however, you need to press the following keys in rapid succession without pausing # - *- [Menu] – [Right arrow].
- View the IMEI number. After you press the last number, the number that appears next is your IMEI number. It will also have the title IMEI number or something similar. Get a piece of paper and write it down.
- What to do if using Motorola IDEN units with SIM cards. If your mobile unit has a SIM card, scroll down the main menu until you find the option for IMEI/SIM ID. You will see fourteen digits. The fifteenth digit is always a 0.
- What to do if using old Motorola IDEN units without SIM cards. In this case, you can continue to hit the right arrow key until you see the IMEI  on the display. The phone will show the first 7 digits of the IMEI number. The next 7 digits can be found by hitting the menu key and then the soft key under "next."
- What to do if you still can’t find your IMEI number. Turn off your mobile phone and remove the battery. At the back of the phone, you will find a white sticker label. The white sticker will show the IMEI number. If you can’t read this white sticker, then take a look at the box. You can normally see another copy of the IMEI near a bar code.
Now that you know how to find your IMEI number, you can have your phone blocked permanently. Nobody else but you can use your phone. There are some other uses for this number and your mobile phone service provider will be more than happy to explain.