If you have a baby shower coming up, you may be stressing about what type of food and dessert to prepare. Baby shower food can be fun, colorful and creative. If you're looking for a simple, do-it-yourself dessert, why not make cookies? Use this easy recipe to make a treat guests won't soon forget.
- 3 1/4 c flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 c butter, softened
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Cookie cutter in baby bottle, baby bootie or baby face shape
To make cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat sweetened condensed milk, butter, eggs and vanilla until well blended.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Chill dough for at least two hours.
- On floured countertop, knead dough lightly to form a smooth ball. Separate dough into 3 or 4 workable chunks.
- Roll dough, one portion at a time on a well-floured countertop to a thickness of 1/8" and cut with floured cookie cutter.
- Place cookies on lightly greased sheets.
- Bake 7-9 minutes or until cookies are light brown around edges.
- Remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- 6 c powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp milk
- 4 tbsp light corn syrup
- 3 tsp almond extract
- assorted food colorings
To make icing:
- In large bowl, stir powdered sugar and milk together until smooth.
- Add corn syrup and almond extract and beat until smooth and shiny. If icing seems too thick, you can add a little more corn syrup.
- Separate icing into small bowls and add food coloring; mix to desired tones.
Using small paintbrushes, decorate cookies. If you are layering icing, start with the lightest color and let dry completely before applying a second layer so that the colors do not bleed. This icing will dry hard and shiny.
Store cookies loosely covered at room temperature.
Makes approximately 6 dozen, depending on size.
Baking cookies for a baby shower can be a fun way to bring family together beforehand as well. You can serve these treats as dessert or as favors. Enjoy!