Parents choose cloth diapers over disposable for many reasons. Many parents are concerned about the effect disposable diapers are having on our environment. Other parents are concerned about the chemicals such as perfumes and absorbents in diapers. Cloth diapers are also cheaper in the long run over disposable diapers.
The following tips will help you buy cloth diapers.
- Find out what kind of product you want. There are two kinds of cloth diapers. The first is flat, or pre-folded. It is the most common. Flat cloth diapers are made up of cotton and folded to fit the size you want. Some brands are pre-folded, others you have to fold. From here, you can either pin the diapers in place using diaper pins or you can cover the diaper with a waterproof cover. The cover is held in place with snaps or Velcro.
The other type of diaper is an all-in-one that combines the flat diaper part with the waterproof cover to make one super cloth diaper.
- What is your budget? Flat or pre-folded diapers are the cheapest while all-in-ones are very expensive. Also, as with anything else, the cheaper things are, the lower the quality.
- Decide what kind of closure you want to use on your diapers or covers. Many parents are uncomfortable using diaper pins-they don't want to hurt their baby. But parents say when you get used to diaper pins, they work great. Snaps are a popular choice as is Velcro. However, some parents don't like Velcro because it can stick to diapers in the wash and tear them. Velcro can easily be undone by older babies and some parents say that urine leaks easily through Velcro.
- Decide how you will clean your diapers. Will you wash your diapers in your own washing machine or use a diaper service to clean them? A diaper service will pick up your dirty diapers every few days or once a week and drop off clean diapers for you to use. Obviously, diaper services are more expensive than cleaning them yourself, but many parents enjoy the ease of a service.
- Try out a few different kinds of cloth diapers. When buying cloth diapers, only buy a few to begin with, rather than spending a lot of money on something you can't return.
- There are many internet sites that sell cloth diapers. Many of these sites sell fitted diapers, and cute covers. They also sell natural products like washable baby wipes and natural diaper cream. You can buy cloth diapers at local baby stores too, but you will have to hunt for them.