We all know dating is hard work, but when you are first starting out, things can be even more confusing. Most people can go off past experiences and talk to others about theirs, but when you're a teenager, things are just a bit harder.
The internet is probably one of the best places to go, because it offers a wide variety of sites, opinions and topics. You just have to be sure you're getting good information and good advice from a reputable site. In order to find a good website, you need to follow a few steps.
- BE SPECIFIC. You need to decide what you need help on. Instead of typing in "teen dating tips," find out what you need help with specifically. Perhaps, you want to ask someone out to a dance. You could then type in, "teen advice, ask out dance." Words like like "a," "the," and "and" are usually filtered out and won't help you at all. Remember to use quotes and commas to help get better search results.
- Use one of the big search engines to help you in your search. I suggest using either Google or Yahoo! because they index more sites than most of the others.
- Look for search results with big domain names. This means don't use just any website on a free server. There are many sites dedicated to JUST teen advice. Look in the address, and you should be able to tell. For example, if the address is teenadviceonline.org, that's a good sign.
- Remember to view a few sources before you decide what course of action to take. One website may tell you something completely different than another. I suggest reading up on 3 or 4 websites about your topic, and choose the course of action that best suits you.
- Can't find anything specific enough for you? Teen forums are a great place to write the specifics of your situation WITHOUT giving away too much personal information. Care should be used when signing up and posting in these forums though; make sure to keep yourself relatively anonymous.
Great sites: TeenTwist, TeenForums and Stupid-Boy - Love, Lust & the Lost Art of Thinking.
- Don't read everything as if it were gospel. Some sites just don't give great advice, which is another good reason to look at a few places. Some things that work for others may not work for you, and vice versa. Remember that advice is there, and you can take it, or you can leave it. Only you can make the final decision.
- Bookmark the places you find the most helpful!! So they will be there in your next time of need.
Remember to be persistent and specific and you should not have a hard time.