While there has been little research done on the actual sexual positions that aid conception, there are some recommended positions for conceiving. Basically, positions that allow deep penetration and don't force the semen to work against gravity are best. In addition, according to old wives' tales, some positions are better than others for conceiving a specific gender.
The following are the best positions for conceiving.
- Missionary Position. In this position, the man is on top. This is the traditional baby making position and is said to be the best for conception. This position allows for the deepest penetration, thereby allowing the semen to enter the cervix easily. According to old wives' tales, the missionary position also increases your chances of having a girl.
- Hands and Knees. This position means that the woman is on her hands and knees, while the man kneels behind her. Like the missionary position, this position also allows deep penetration and is great for conceiving a baby. According to the old tales, hands and knees or any type of rear entry will help you to conceive a boy.
- Spooning. In this position, the man and woman lay together like spoons facing the same direction and he enters her from behind. This position can also be done while facing each other and is called side-laying. This position is also great for conception as it allows plenty of sperm to get near the cervix.
The following are positions that are not so good for conceiving.
- Woman on Top. The woman can be either sitting, laying or sitting and turned around backwards. This position is not helpful for conceiving as gravity is working against the sperm; the sperm has to work harder to get into the cervix. However, according to old wives' tales, this is a great way to conceive a girl.
- Standing or sitting. Standing or sitting is not a good position for conception as it does not allow for deep penetration. In addition, the sperm have to work against gravity. However, according to old tales, having sex while standing increases your chances for having a boy.
The following are some tips for how to increase your chances for conception.
- Lie down after sex. According to some theories, you should lie down on your back with your hips elevated (try a pillow beneath them) after sex to help the semen swim closer to your cervix. Of course if you are prone to UTI (urinary tract infections) or your care provider recommends urinating after sex, you shouldn't do this.
- Have an orgasm. Recent research has shown that female orgasm actually creates a 'sucking' effect that can draw the sperm through the vagina and into the uterus faster.