If you have decided to have a flower girl in your wedding, you will need to select a dress for her to wear. Here are some tips on buying a great flower girl dress for your littlest bridal attendant.
- Who picks the dress? Traditionally, the bride-to-be chooses the flower girl's dress, just as she picks the bridesmaids' gowns. However, in some instances, the bride may ask the flower girl's mother to select an appropriate dress, within constraints (such as color or length).
- Who pays for the flower girl's dress? Usually, the parents of the flower girl are responsible for buying her dress, although you can certainly offer to help them with the purchase if you are so inclined.
- What should you look for when you are choosing a flower girl's dress? Of course, you want her to coordinate with the rest of the wedding party; however, she does not have to match the bridesmaids. White is a classic color for flower girl dresses; the flower girl is the one person other than the bride for whom white is considered a good color on the wedding day. If you do choose white for the flower girl, consider accents in a color to match your other attendants' dresses. For example, she can wear a white dress with a colored sash, shoes or pinafore.
- Modern brides are choosing greater variety in attire for their flower girls. For example, a floral or pastel sundress or party dress can be a great selection that will not only look cute, but can be worn again. If you are having a more casual or beach wedding, these are especially good options.
- Keep comfort in mind. Avoid itchy fabrics or trim for your flower girl; you don't want her wiggling and scratching her way down the aisle before you. Does your flower girl hate dresses? Consider a flowing pair of formal pants with a silky blouse instead. While you want her clothing to fit the spirit of the wedding party, you also want her to be comfortable and happy.
- Where are the best places to buy flower girl dresses? Most bridal shops will carry a full selection, alongside the bridesmaids' gowns. You can also look to online formal wear stores if you prefer to order something. However, you do not need to go to a bridal store to find great flower girl dresses; many department stores and boutiques carry a wide selection of girls' dresses that are appropriate for this occasion. Even better, these options are usually less costly than those found in specialty stores.
- What exactly is the role of the flower girl? A flower girl is a member of the bridal party; generally she is between four and eight years old. The flower girl walks down the aisle, before or after the bridesmaids; often she scatters flower petals as she walks.