Hallmark Keepsake ornaments are one of the most collectible mementos of the holiday season. The Hallmark company first began producing Keepsake ornaments about thirty years ago. The first ornaments were simple glass balls. Since then, they have added several series and many individual ornaments.
- Watch the Hallmark website. Here, you can learn about the various series of ornaments that Hallmark offers. You can also find out about any new series that Hallmark will be debuting for the holiday season. And, if you want to become a member of the Hallmark Keepsake Club, which gives you the ability to purchase ornaments from an exclusive series, you can do that here, too.
- Decide which ornaments you want to collect. Unless you really like Christmas ornaments and have quite a bit of money to invest in them, you'll probably want to limit yourself to just one or two series. You may also prefer to collect by theme. For example, you may want to collect all Santa-themed ornaments, or a ornament for each year of your child's age - Baby's 1st Christmas, Baby's 2nd Christmas, etc. If you are collecting Keepsake ornaments as an investment, the series ornaments tend to appreciate in value most quickly, in particular, the Barbie series and Star Trek series ornaments.
- How to find Keepsake ornaments from past years. If you decide to start collecting in the middle of a series, you may want to go back and purchase the ornaments from prior years. When, or if, you decide to sell your ornaments, the entire series will usually bring a better price than individual ornaments. Since Keepsake ornaments are only available for a few months, you'll have to purchase ornaments from previous years through collectors. The most comprehensive listing of Keepsake ornaments is on eBay. If you can't find the ornament for which you are looking, keep checking back regularly. As the holidays approach, the selection of Keepsake ornaments on eBay grows rapidly.
- How to ensure your Keepsake ornaments remain valuable. If you are collecting Keepsake ornaments simply because you enjoy having them on your Christmas tree, that's great! However, if you want to maximize your potential profits when you decide to sell them, there are several things that you need to remember. First of all, all collectibles are more valuable when they are in mint condition. To keep your ornaments in mint condition, you most likely will not want to put them on your Christmas tree. They could get chipped or broken, which will make them about worthless when you sell them. Also, removing them from the box could damage the box itself, which is an important part of selling them. The Keepsake ornaments which bring the most money when sold are those in their original boxes, still wrapped, with the original tag intact.
- Where to find ornaments from the current year. Current ornaments will be found first in Hallmark Gold Crown stores. A few weeks after they're released, you may be able to find them in non-Hallmark gift shops and department stores. However, a few ornaments each year are strictly Gold Crown exclusives, and will not be sold anywhere other than Gold Crown stores. You can also purchase current ornaments directly from the Hallmark website. Most ornaments sell for between eight and twenty dollars each.
No matter what you choose to do with your Hallmark Keepsake ornaments, it can be very exciting to find the newest addition for your collection each year!