Constipation can be a problem, especially when you are pregnant. There are also people who have chronic constipation and other medical conditions that keep them constipated. There are different products that are advertised as stool softeners. These products can help in your constipation but you have to be sure that they are not going to be dangerous for your baby. The best thing to do is to consult your doctor regarding the effects of taking a stool softener when you are pregnant.
Here are some stool softeners that are safe for pregnant women:
- Colace - Colace, or docusate sodium is a stool softener that is given to people who suffer from chronic constipation. It can also be used by pregnant women who are often constipated. Docusate can be given in tablet form, capsule form, and liquid form or as a rectal enema. Aside from being used to relieve constipation, docusate sodium is also used to remove excess earwax.
- Metamucil - Metamucil is a fiber supplement and laxative that is given to people who have severe constipation. It can also be given to people who suffer from irritable bowel syndrome or people who have hemorrhoids or constipation due to pregnancy. Metamucil can be taken as capsules, drink mixes in powder form and also as wafers. Some of the flavors of Metamucil include pink lemonade, orange and berry.
- Citracil - This is another constipation relief stool softener that can be taken by pregnant women. It is also ideal to use Citracil after you have your infant to regulate bowel movement. Citracil can be taken in liquid form or it can also be taken as a pill. People who suffer from constipation use this medicine to be able to have regular bowel movements.
- Fiber and Water - If you want a stool softener that is natural, the best choice for you is to have lots of water everyday. You can also increase your intake of fiber rich foods. This will help regulate your bowel movement and will take away your constipation. Some fiber rich foods that you can eat are apples with skin, grapefruits, raspberries, pears, blueberries and strawberries. You can also eat bran cereals, oats, avocados and lentils.
- Milk of Magnesia - Milk of Magnesia is magnesium hydroxide in water. It is used as a laxative for people who are constipated from pregnancy or for other reasons. Milk of Magnesia can be bought in tablet form, capsule form and liquid form. You can choose from different flavors to make it easier for you to take.
These are some of the choices that you have if you are constipated because of your pregnancy. These stool softeners are recommended by doctors. It is better to take natural stool softeners rather than laxatives and medicines. If you are still constipated after trying natural remedies, you can consult your doctor and see which laxatives you can and cannot take as different medicines have different effects on people. What may be safe for another can be dangerous to you and your child.