With extramarital affairs among the top five reasons for divorce, how do you know that your partner won't have an affair? By taking these steps to make your marriage affair proof!
- Date Longer. Most couples in these times get caught up in the romance and euphoria of a new relationship, which can last up to a year. People can be on their best behavior for some time, but eventually they will be themselves. If they have a bad temper or even aggressive behavior it will start to show. This is when you meet the real person, flaws and all. Don't be too critical about the little things, chances are something you do bugs your partner too.
- BE HONEST. This is someone you might spend the rest of your life with, don't lie, and tell each other the truth. Don't be critical about some mistake your partner has made in the past. Try and understand what your partner has been through and know that they will do the same for you.
- Share your secrets! Yes, this means all of them. From the embarrassing childhood kind to the horrifying dating kind. Share your secrets, this is a wonderful trust to share with each other. Knowing what no one else does about your partner, and knowing that they love you all the same. If your partner can talk to you about anything then they won't go looking for sympathetic ear, which could escalate to an affair.
- Live together before marriage. Everyone has their own way of doing things, their own feelings about how things are done. Does yours and your partner's mesh? Or are you two constantly butting heads over how the dishes are done or who replaces the toilet paper roll? Do you both have a similar sex drive? Or does one of you consistently come away unsatisfied? If your sex lives are unsatisfying then the chances of an affair increase dramatically. These are things that are important to know about each other before marriage and you can't learn them by living apart.
- Compromise. No one can get their way all the time, remember it's not about winning or losing. It's about making you both happy. If you’re both happy, you’re less likely to have an affair.
- Have Sex! A unsatisfying sex life is a big excuse for an affair. Be open to new things. If your partner wants to have sex when you don't, have sex (about 50% of the time). Sex is connecting to your partner, being close. Don't be afraid to try new things, be creative and there won't be a reason to have an affair.
If you're already married, follow steps two, three, five and six for an affair proof marriage.