A funeral service is where relatives and friends of the deceased can give their final respects. Being at the funeral and greeting all the people who are coming can be tiring for the relatives of the deceased. If you are a close friend or family member, there are some things that you can do to help out the family during their time of grief. Sometimes, being present during this time is enough, but you can also make yourself useful in other ways.
Here are some things that you can do when you go to a funeral so that you can help out the grieving family:
- Offer condolences to the grieving family. As soon as you get to the funeral service, approach the family members of the deceased so that you can offer your condolences. Offer some words of comfort to them and let them know that you are there for them during this difficult time in their lives. In most cases, they may not be able to mingle with you but know that your presence in the funeral is greatly appreciated.
- Guest book. Make sure that there is a guest book at the entrance of the funeral parlor and tell the people who visit to sign. This will be of great help to the family so that they can move on with the death of a family member easily. They will see how many people were touched by the person who died, and they will see how many people appreciate and love the person.
- Take care of some tasks. Do not wait for the family members of the deceased to assign a task for you to do. During this time, their grieving may make their minds clouded so it will be a great help to them if you take care of some of the important tasks that you they need for the funeral. You can offer food for the guests, mingle with other guests and greet those who enter through the door.
- Say good things about the person. If the visitors are given time to speak about the deceased person, this will be an opportunity for you to help with the coping up of the family by saying good things about the person who died. It is better to remember and say the things that make the person unforgettable.
- Send flowers. This is another thing that you can do to help out during the funeral. Sending flowers may not be a big deal to you but your effort and condolences will be greatly appreciated by the family. Also, the flower arrangement can brighten the funeral and make the mood lighter.
These are only some of the things that you can do to help out at a funeral. Remember to keep things light during the funeral wake but do not crack some jokes that are inappropriate. Helping out does not stop after the burial of the dead. You have to make sure to help the family members cope up with the loss after the dead has been buried. You can do this by checking up on them once in a while. The family will surely be thankful to have you when you do these simple things.