Do you dream of being popular and having a ton of friends? Do you want everyone to know your name? There are a lot of ways to get a reputation and be known, but if you follow these positive steps, you can be popular.
- Get out and meet people. This means smile and say hello to the people you meet. If you never leave your classroom or your home, you cannot be popular. People won’t know your name.
- Have confidence. No matter who you are, you have gifts--qualities that make you a unique and interesting person. Your self-confidence will draw others to you.
- Get involved and participate. If you are shy or not inclined to join clubs and organizations, being popular may be difficult but not impossible. Start by raising your hand in class and participate in group discussions. Then join another activity such as a sport or club. Look around your environment – is it a school, job or neighborhood? Watch what is going on; then get involved.
- Make friends among different groups. Popularity is not about being liked by a small, select group of people. Popularity is being friends with a lot of people. To do this, you need to widen your sphere. When meeting people, try to reach out to those in different groups. If you spend most of your time with your band, reach out to the guys playing baseball down the street or reading poetry in the coffee shop.
- Remember names and faces. One skill every salesman has is the ability to remember names and faces. Being popular is a form of salesmanship. You are selling yourself as a friend. When you meet someone, remember his face and some detail about him so that you may remember his name when you meet him again.
- Be approachable. Smile and chat with the people you meet. When you are open and approachable, others will gravitate your way.
- Listen when others talk. Being the one people know they can come to and can depend on will make you popular in many circles. By listening, you let others know you care. You are being a good friend.
- Resist the urge to be mean. Almost every movie you see with popular kids shows them being mean to other groups. Movies are not real life, and being mean will not make you friends with a lot of people. Resist gossip and making fun of other people. Being a nice, friendly person is more likely to help you make friends.
When being popular is your goal, know you can reach it and still be yourself. You can be confident in who you are and still make friends. Just follow these simple steps and you will be well on your way to becoming popular.