Swaddling a baby is a practice that goes way back. During the olden times, babies were wrapped in swaddling cloths or blankets as securely as possible to limit his movements. It was supposed to help the infant develop proper posture. In the 17th century, swaddling lessened in popularity. Only recently has it become popular once more when medical studies pointed out how this practice helps babies to sleep soundly and the risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) is greatly decreased. It has also been suggested that swaddling an infant at least from his first few months allows him to easily shift from the womb to the outside, lessening his fussiness as he adjusts to his new surroundings. Getting a blanket designed for this purpose takes a little time. Listed below are some tips to get the correct type of blanket for swaddling your baby:
- Be aware of the safety measures of swaddling your baby. Overheating or swaddling too tightly are the two things to avoid. Your swaddle blanket must be made of a fabric that is both lightweight and breathable. This will ensure that your baby does not feel uncomfortably warm. It must also be made of a stretchable fabric so that his movements are not constricted. Baby blankets may not have these features. Aside from this, baby blankets may use heavyweight materials that are not ideal for swaddling. It is necessary to get a blanket designed for this purpose.
- A swaddle blanket must have a square or triangular shape. They are normally oversized to allow you to wrap your baby a few times over and tuck him in as securely as you can. Receiving blankets are great swaddling blankets as well. Hospitals have a particular standard when it comes to the size of these blankets that are ideal for your baby, no matter what his particular weight or length is.
- Be aware of the material used for your swaddling blanket. Special fabrics like muslin cotton are the most ideal fabric for it. This particular material allows the air to pass through effortlessly and regulates the temperature for your baby’s comfort.
- Swaddling blankets come in different styles to make swaddling a much easier process for you. They may have small pockets to accommodate your baby’s legs and wings that can securely wrap his around. Velcro is sometimes added to secure the blanket in place. It is entirely up to what you think would be more convenient for you to handle and would serve its purpose for your baby.
- Organic swaddling blankets are the most ideal choice because they are made from materials that do not contain pesticides or insecticides. This will ensure that your baby is not contaminated in any way with any of these toxic substances. There are several manufacturers who produce organic swaddling blankets so it is not a problem to find them.
- If you own a sewing machine, you might want to make your own swaddling blanket. All you need to do is get the proper material for it. Cotton fleece is a fabric you can use for winter. Lightweight cotton muslin or any other soft cotton is best to avoid over-heating. A 45 inch fabric will suffice for one swaddling blanket. Pre-shrink your fabric before determining the size and shape of the blanket. You can create a perfect square of a yard and a quarter from your 45 inch fabric. For 60 inch fabrics, a yard and 3 quarters is about the best size you can come up with. Selvages need to be cut off to avoid an uneven shape during wash and wear.
Always choose the best swaddling blanket for your baby, one that will keep him snug enough without any discomfort. There are so many advantages of swaddling that will make both you and your baby happy and secure. Give it a try and see just what it can do for you.