Every woman who has had a baby knows how difficult it is to feel sexy once motherhood has set in. Long sleepless nights, milk producing boobs, not to mention the stress of having to take care of an infant can wreck havoc on your hormones and your self esteem.
Beat those baby blues and remember that you have to treat yourself well first. It’s all right to want to feel sexy again, even if you have a baby nursing at your breast, there are stretch marks on your tummy and you haven’t lost the baby weight yet.
Here’s how to feel sexy again after having a baby. There’s no need to feel frumpy if you take the following steps to heart.
- Get sleep. The best thing you can do for yourself to restore your energy and hormone levels is to get adequate sleep. Let your spouse, mom or baby sitter take the baby for a few hours so you can get some rest and relaxation. You’ll notice a significant change in your attitude once you get some sleep. Since sexy is about attitude, you need to make sure that your mindset is conducive to thinking yourself as sexy. You simply can’t do that when you’re exhausted.
- Get moving! Exercise gets your heart rate going, amps up your metabolism that will help you lose weight. Also, the brain releases endorphins when you exercise so you’ll naturally feel better about yourself once you get moving. If you can, hit the gym so you can reestablish your social network and not feel like you live in a cave. If you don’t have the time or money to join a gym, strap the baby in a stroller and take a brisk walk around the neighborhood. When you start losing weight, you’ll automatically feel better and sexier about yourself.
- Clean yourself up. Even if you’re on maternity leave and don’t see any other adults other than your husband at night, take a bath. Lather your tummy and legs with lotion. It helps beat the stretch marks! Wash your hair. Giving yourself an in shower massage can reinvigorate you like nothing else can. Don’t wear the same clothes day in and day out. If you’re staying indoors, at least wear something pretty, like silk pajamas. Wearing sweats around the home won’t help you feel sexy.
- Put on makeup. Even a dab of lipstick can make you feel ten times better about yourself because it brightens up your face. Avoid foundation and blush if you’ll be holding the baby close to you to avoid any allergic reactions. Keep it simple with some mascara, a black eyeliner and a flattering shade of lipstick.
- Get a makeover. Go to the salon and get a new haircut. You may need to trade in your long locks for something more low maintenance. Have the stylist blow dry your hair so it has body and bounce. You may need to avoid coloring your hair if you’re breastfeeding. Hit the mall and go to the cosmetic counter to get a free makeup makeover. Get a manicure and pedicure while you’re at the salon for the full treatment. At least for the day, you’ll remember what it’s like to be beautiful, sexy and carefree.
Just because you’ve had a baby doesn’t mean you have to resign yourself to a fate of frumpiness. You can still be sexy, even with your new lush curves! Treat yourself well and know that you’re still a sexy woman, who just happens to be a mom too!