How To Get a Quickie Divorce

In some instances staying married to a person can become a burden. When the love is gone and you are staying in the marriage on sufferance, then it is time for you to agree to end the marriage. It is a better option than to end up fighting and hurting each other either physically, emotionally or financially. You can get a divorce quickly and easily in some states as long as there is no one who will be affected by the dissolution of marriage. Below are tips on how you can get a quickie divorce.

  • Both you and your partner should agree that you are going to divorce. A quickie divorce can be granted when there is no child custody involved. You should agree on the settlement issues as to the division of assets, as well as the liabilities. You have to agree on what to do with the house, how to settle the mortgage and other loans, how to settle your joint finances and who will take care of your children. With everything settled and documented and you and your spouse have signed the terms of the divorce prior to the fling of the divorce papers, things will be easier.
  • Consult a divorce lawyer. Some law offices have websites where you can enroll and complete a form for a quickie divorce. Once all the agreements are finalized then all you have to do is submit the forms and wait for your divorce to be granted.
  • If you have fallen out of love with your spouse for a while and there is no other way for you to get back together or for the love to be rekindled, you will get more chances of getting a quick divorce if you have separated from your spouse for a while. It is easier for the court to grant you a divorce once it has been established that you have been living and existing away from your partner for a period of time.
  • Some states require a residency period of at least six months before you can file for divorce but not in Las Vegas. You can file for a divorce in Nevada after you have stayed there for six weeks. Consider this as taking an extended vacation and enjoy what the city has to offer for your required six-week stay while you are waiting for your divorce to be finalized.
  • If you do not like to wait for six weeks, there is still another option that you can consider. File your divorce in Guam. Since the island is under the jurisdiction of the United States, you do not have to set foot on the island to be granted divorce. Guam does not require you to have residency on the island, either. You only have to sign a consent to jurisdiction form for the divorce to be finalized and the divorce recognized anywhere in the United States. With some statutory loopholes, you can be granted a divorce in a few days rather than wait for the regular ninety-day waiting period.

Avoid getting a quickie divorce in the Dominican Republic or Haiti as divorces of US citizens processed and granted in these countries are no longer recognized in the United States. Mexico, which once was a popular destination for couples seeking a quick divorce is no longer an option either since the Mexican government imposed strict residency requirements.


Share this article!

Follow us!

Find more helpful articles: