Infidelity is a violation of rules in an intimate relationship. Discovering that your partner has cheated on you can give you a feeling of abandonment and betrayal. It may also leave you feeling worthless and rejected. This is normal, but these feelings should not control you. Nor should they last too long. You should realize that this is not the end of the world. Life goes on and you should get over this traumatic experience.
Here are some tips on how to get over infidelity.
- Forgive. Forgive your ex every time you remember the incident. You discovered that your partner cheated on you. This has broken your trust. Letting go of the anger that you feel allows you move on. Holding on to bitterness and resentment will only haunt and hurt you. Forgive yourself as well. It is not your fault that your ex cheated on you.
- Do not feel sorry for yourself. You are not the only who has experienced this. You may know someone who has also experienced infidelity. Picture how they let go of the pain. Time will pass. The pain will subside eventually. This process will go faster if you forgive yourself. Realize that you are not to blame, and this happens. It’s not your fault. To get over infidelity, you mustn’t feel sorry for yourself.
- Express yourself. Prepare a journal. Write how you honestly feel after the discovery. Write how you feel about the infidelity. Write about what you feel towards your ex. Talk to your ex, let them know what you felt after you discovered the infidelity. Do this on a non-confrontational manner. This situation may test your control. But, remain calm. Expressing yourself will make the healing process go faster.
- Keep yourself busy. Being more involved with your job will help you think less of the incident. Find a new hobby, new interests and new friends. These will make you feel better about yourself and help you regain your confidence. Set weekly lunches with your friends. This will let you discover that life has more to offer. Go do things, rather than just sulk. Stop wallowing in the pain and misery that you’re currently experiencing.
- Talk with your family and friends. This is the perfect time to talk to people you love. Take this chance to talk to them. Let them know what you really feel about the incident. Tell them what you think. Ask for their thoughts on the matter. Let them know that what you shared should be kept confidential.
- Seek counseling. If you feel that you cannot get through things by yourself or with the help of your friends, seek help. Consider counseling with a professional. Doing this may give you an objective point of view of what you currently feel. You can also seek counseling from non-profit organizations that offer free consultation services.
Experiencing infidelity in a relationship can be traumatic. Following these simple tips will help you recover. Following these tips and talking to your friends is how you get over infidelity. Get over things and move on, you deserve it.