How To Get Your Name off of a Car You Had with your Ex

At first, he seemed like the perfect catch. But now, you want him out of your life. If all that stands between you and freedom from your ex is that one small issue of how to get your name off of a car you had with your ex, follow these steps.

Step 1

Ask your ex to get re-financed. When you purchased the car with your ex, you both had to apply for the loan. Since both of your incomes were considered when processing the loan, it will be necessary for your ex to have the loan re-processed using his income information only.

Step 2

Sign over title. If there is no outstanding loan on the car, you can easily get your name off of a car you had with your ex. Simply sign over the title (or ownership) to your ex. This can be done by signing the back of your ownership. Or, you can head to the DMV with your ex and the ownership and fill out necessary paperwork there. That removes any liability you have for that car. If you're dealing with a messy separation, it's best to have a lawyer facilitate this process for you. You wouldn't want to be responsible for anything that happened to the car while it was assumed to be fully owned by your ex. Take care to ensure that this process has been completed correctly.

Step 3

Sell the car. Of course, this has to be a mutual decision between you and your spouse. But you can remove both of your names from the car by selling it to someone else. This may be ideal, since it should bring in some money for both of you as well as relieve you of any concerns about the car. It may be difficult to stay in touch with your ex and work with him during this process, but it will be worth it when you're paid for the car.

Step 4

Take it to court. If all other attempts have failed to get your name off of a car you had with your ex, you do have the option to take your case to court. If you successfully plead your case, a judge can mandate that your name be removed from ownership of the car. This is definitely not an ideal approach though, as it will cost you much time and money. But if you want the relief of having your name off of a car you had with your ex, it may be your only option.


Share this article!

Follow us!

Find more helpful articles: