A long lasting marriage is something all couples wish to have. It will take a lot of work from both the man and the woman to make it successful. It is a commitment to be together for as long as they can and be happy and content with the company of one another. It does not matter what age you are. Making a success of one’s marriage is not defined by how young or how old the couple is. It is defined by their maturity and willingness to make a marriage successful. Look at the tips below.
- Define your roles and responsibilities before marriage. Today most women hold full time jobs and would like to keep their jobs even after marriage. This should be part of your long-term planning as a family unit. If your husband is willing to allow you to continue working then you should agree that you have to share the in the house work and the upbringing of your children.
- Do not expect too much from your partner. You may have a preconceived idea of a perfect marriage with a perfect partner. Get to know your partner and make a note of all the things that you like about him which should far outweigh the minor flaws in his character. Discuss with him what our expectations are from him and your marriage and you should tell him about yours. Make it a point to agree on real and achievable expectations and goals for your life together.
- Marriage is a commitment that should be entered into with a clear mind. You have to fully realize what marriage means and what you can contribute to its growth and development. You and your spouse should commit to make it work by your willingness to help each other. If a partner is down, you should provide support and encouragement. If you are against some adversity you should stand together and work to overcome it. Discover what makes each other happy as happy couples have a happy marriage.
- Do not let disagreement sour your relationship. It happens to every one. The best thing to do is to talk to each other openly. Discuss what bothers you, what you do not like and what makes you blue. Listen to what your spouse has to say before airing your side. Talk about it as adults and make it a point to resolve the issue as soon as you can. Try not to go to bed mad at each other. Humor plays a big role in resolving issues. Try to look at the lighter side of things. Sometimes talking and laughing about it can clear the misunderstanding.
- Trust in each other is one major component of a happy marriage. You cannot expect your spouse to be with you twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. Trust that your spouse is doing his responsibilities as your husband and he should trust that you are performing your responsibilities as his wife.
- Give each other some space. You both need some time by yourself. Being with each other all the time can be stifling for some. Renew your spirit by spending time with relatives and close friends from time to time to change your perspective. Do things separately from your husband or your wife. Discover new hobbies and new friendships.
- In the same token, share in the things that you enjoy doing together.
A successful marriage is a product of the effort you and your spouse give to the marriage. Be the best friend to your spouse. Your relationship actually started that way. Maintain your friendship and support each other with love and respect and maturity.