Tank tops have very much become a staple in one's wardrobe. Almost everyone owns a tank top or two, or maybe even more. A lot of people like wearing them because they feel comfortable in them, especially in warm weather, and it's easy to mix and match with other clothes. Tank tops can be layered to add style and funk to your otherwise plain or boring wardrobe. Here are some tips on how to layer tank tops.
- Hem. You have to determine the length of the hem of the tank tops that you want to wear. Choose tank tops with different hem lengths. The inner tank top should have a longer hem than the outer tank top's hem. If the outer tank top has a higher neckline or a longer hem, then the inner tank top will not be seen when you are wearing it. You can wear a men's tank top underneath a women's tank top. You can wear inner tank tops that are one or two sizes bigger than the outer tank tops. Make sure though that the difference in the hem of the two tank tops would not exceed 3 inches. The tank tops won't look good together when worn otherwise.
- Color. You have to determine the color of the tank tops that you want to wear. Choose tank tops that have colors complementing each other. They do not necessarily need to be in complimentary colors, just look for ones that have colors that look good together. Complimentary colors are colors that are opposite in hue on a color wheel. These are red and green, blue and orange, yellow and purple, and black and white. You can also wear inner and outer tank tops that are one or two shades lighter or darker than each other. Do not choose colors that clash with each other, or two colors that are overpowering.
- Style. You have to determine the style of the tank tops that you want to wear. You can wear tank tops that have regular necklines under tank tops that have very low necklines. You can also wear a ladies' tank top with a round neckline under a tank top with a v-shaped neckline. Some people choose a tank top with crossed straps at the back to go underneath tank tops that have regular straps. You can also wear a sleeveless top with wider straps underneath a tank top with thinner straps. When choosing tank top styles, make sure that the tank top's style underneath would show even with another tank worn over it. Also make sure that you wear bandeau or bras that have very thin straps so that it doesn't show underneath.
- Material. Another thing to consider is the material that the tank tops are made of or its fabric. You can wear sheer tank tops over cotton tank tops. You can also wear tank tops made of soft fabric underneath a tank top that has a regular texture. Don't wear two tank tops that both have bulky fabrics. Otherwise, you may look bulky or fat underneath it.
- Your Focal Point. Another thing to consider when layering tank tops would be the focal point. You have to choose which of the two tank tops you want to focus on or emphasize. This will be your outer tank top. Once you've made a decision, choose an inner tank top that will complement your outer tank top.
If not put together correctly, tank tops can make your wardrobe look off. So always check yourself in the mirror before going out to see if the layered tank tops look good on you. Worn alone or layered, remember to wear your tank tops in style.