Decorating for a baby shower can have limited options. For a fun and creative decoration, consider making a diaper cake. Creating this cake lets you gift the new mom with items she needs while serving as a decorative centerpiece. Just follow these directions and you can make a diaper cake quickly and easily.
1-2 packages of diapers (amount depends upon the size of the cake)
Ribbon – ½” in width or less
Package of pacifiers
Package of booties
Small doll, truck or rattle
- Cut ribbon into 6” lengths. The ribbon is similar to the decorative icing on a cake, so choose a color that matches the shower theme. Cut several sections of ribbon.
- Roll each diaper. Take a diaper out of the package. Lay it flat onto a table or counter. Start at either end and roll the diaper into a tube shape.
- Tie ribbon around the diaper roll. Tie ribbon into a knot or a bow depending upon the look you are going for. Tie the ribbon around the center of the diaper and tie it tight so that the diaper does not unroll.
- Repeat Step #3, making diaper rolls for the entire package of diapers. You will need a lot of diapers, especially if you are making a large cake or if you plan for several tiers to create the look of a layered cake.
- Assemble the bottom layer. Arrange the diaper rolls in a circle like the bottom layer of a cake. Use the double-sided tape to hold the diapers together.
- Assemble the next layer. Make a smaller layer on top of the first. Make as many layers as you like, depending on the size of the cake. Two or three layers are easiest.
- Top the cake. Using the doll, truck or rattle as a cake top, place the item onto the top of the cake to cover the ends of the diapers.
- Decorate the cake. Add the pacifiers, booties or any other decorative items to the cake and any additional ribbon decoration you want. Have fun with the decorating, and make it personalized for the mom-to-be.
Just a few short minutes and you have created a cake using diapers. The new mom will be pleased with the addition to the décor and all those diapers will come in handy once the bundle of joy arrives.