The wedding cake is the centerpiece to any wedding celebration. Making your own wedding cake is simple when you choose to make a classic cake without an overabundance of trimmings. To make your own cake that will stand up to the occasion, follow these steps.
Ingredients for 3 cakes
Butter cream icing
Sharp cake knife
Foam board cake base
Kit for stacking cakes – should include 2 plates and at least 8 legs
- Decide upon your cake design. Simple is often best when it comes to a wedding cake. Start with a simple white cake mix and white butter cream icing. The round, three-tier option is sophisticated yet simple.
- Bake the cakes. Bake three round cakes in 6”, 10” and 12” diameter pans. After baking, set the cakes to cool.
- Torte each cake layer. Torting the cakes adds strength to each layer. Use butter cream icing between each cake layer. Coat each layer with a simple, smooth coating of butter cream icing.
- Assemble the cake. Using the cake stacking kit, place the plastic plate and legs in the center of the bottom 12” cake. Push the legs through the bottom cake and set the plate on top. This adds support and strength, which will hold the next layer above.
- Place the second layer on the top. Place the 10” cake above the 12” then repeat step four before placing the top 6” cake layer above the other two layers.
- Decorate the cake. Once assembled you can decorate the cake. Smooth on an additional layer of butter cream icing for a cohesive style of the cake. Instead of adding icing flowers or frilly decorations, try some simple augmentation instead. Choose ribbon that matches the bridesmaids’ gowns and wrap a single strip around the base of each cake layer. Or have the florist provide a sampling of extra flowers from the bridal bouquet. Use the flowers to decorate the cake.
Creating a wedding cake can be simple as long as you are willing to go with an elegant and understated design. Follow these steps and you can create a sophisticated wedding cake.