Your child’s birthday party won’t be complete without a piñata. Purchasing a piñata from a party supplies store can be a bit expensive. You can cut down on party expenses by making your own piñata. One of the simplest piñatas that you can make is the lovable character Elmo from Sesame Street. Find out how you can make an Elmo piñata by following the steps below.
- Materials that you need. The materials that you need for making the piñata are flour, water, 1 large balloon, 3 small balloons, newspapers and red, black, orange and white crepe papers. You will also need glue and the candies that you want to place inside the piñata. Prepare the newspapers first and cut them into strips.
- Blow the balloons. The balloons will be used to form the body of Elmo. Blow the large balloon that you have and tie it. This will serve as the head of Elmo. Blow up the 3 small balloons and tie them up too. The small balloons will be the eyes and the nose of Elmo.
- Make the paste. Get a cup of flour and mix it with a cup of water until you get a pasty consistency. This will be your binder for the project. You can also add a small amount of glue to the mixture.
- Prepare the balloons. Use the mixture that you created and spread it on the entire surface of the large balloon. Afterwards, pile on some newspaper strips until you have covered the balloon. Do this until you have about 3 to 4 layers of newspaper. Set aside the large balloon and start working on the 3 small balloons that you have. The procedure is the same. Once you are done, set the balloons aside to allow it to dry. You can leave it overnight and check in the morning if the glue is already dry.
- Use crepe paper. Once the balloons are dry, you can start sticking crepe paper to add color to Elmo. Work on the largest balloon first, which is the head. Cover the surface of the balloon with glue and wrap the red crepe paper around it. You might need to wrap the red paper a few times to hide the newspaper. Set aside the head when you are done. Now you can work on the eyes. Get 2 of the small balloons and wrap white crepe paper around them. Cut out two circles from the black crepe paper and stick it at the center of each of the white balloons so that Elmo can have eyes. The last balloon will be for Elmo’s nose. Use orange crepe paper for the nose. Allow the glue to dry completely.
- Fill the piñata. You can fill the piñata with candies once the glue is completely dry. Cut a hole at the back of Elmo’s head but be sure that you still have a flap on to cover the hole. Fill the piñata with candies and small toys for the kids. Poke a hole at the top of Elmo’s head so that you can add a string for hanging the piñata.
Now you have an Elmo piñata for your child’s party! Preparing some of the things for the party instead of buying them can save you a lot of money. Try to prepare party favors or cook food for the party.