In a busy household where parents have to prepare to go to work and see their children off to school, breakfast can be nerve-wracking, particularly during those times when you are running late.
It has been touted endless times that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and should not be skipped. Children will be more alert when they eat a nutritious breakfast before going to school. The question is how and what kind of foods can you prepare quickly so that your children will not miss out on their daily nutritional needs. Here are a few suggestions.
- The fastest and healthy breakfast that you can give your children will be oatmeal. You can either use that regular old-fashioned variety that needs to be boiled longer, the quick-cook variety or you can use the instant variety that only needs some boiling water to prepare. Top them with milk, sprinkle it with some brown sugar and add slices of fruits and some nuts. You can vary the toppings so that your children will enjoy different flavors. You can add a bit of salt if you like.
- Add some milk and cheese to scrambled eggs to make it creamier and fluffier. Serve with toasted whole grain or whole wheat bread, ham or bacon, fresh fruits, and a glass of freshly-squeezed juice.
- Give your kids some yogurt and fresh fruits, together with some toast and sausage. This is a light, filling meal that can be prepared in no time.
- Add left over turkey or chicken as to scrambled eggs for a filling and hearty breakfast that can be prepared instantly. Shred the turkey and chicken in the evening so that you only need to add these to the beaten eggs in the morning. Super fast and easy to prepare nutritious meal in itself.
- Love fat and low sugar peanut butter and jelly spread on some whole wheat slices will boost your kids’ energy for a long time and sustain them until lunch.
- Add some fruits like blueberries, and slices of strawberries to your pancake recipe. Top with some honey and serve with some sausages and a glass of juice or milk.
- Buy prepared whole wheat bagels and cream cheese from your local grocery store. All you have to do is heat them up in the morning for a fast and easy healthy breakfast.
- Buy some granola bars and fresh fruits such as apples, bananas and melons. These are very nutritious and energy-packed food combinations that is very easy to serve and can be eaten on the go.
- Remove the center from whole wheat bread slices with a cookie cutter in different shapes. Take out your non-stick pan and place the bread in it. Crack an egg inside the hollowed-out portion and let the egg cook, and the bread is toasted. Serve the portion you took out as additional tummy-filler.
- Buy some frozen wholegrain waffles from the supermarket. You can pop these in the oven toasted in the morning and serve it with some berries and sliced bananas.
- Bake or buy oat bran muffins that will provide fiber, potassium and magnesium. Serve it with milk or fruit juice and some fresh fruits.
- Make some fruit smoothies when you do not have time to cook. Use fruits that your kids love and those that are in season, add some bananas, orange juice and yogurt for a healthy and fast breakfast packed with vitamins and minerals.
It can be a struggle at times to prepare a healthy breakfast for your kids, let alone easy ones that will take the minimal amount of time to cook. There are several pre-made breakfasts that you can buy from the grocery stores and you can find more recipes on the internet. What is important is that it is balanced and will provide the most essential vitamins and minerals that are required by your kids.