Fingers crossed you will only wear a wedding gown once and live happily ever after with your prince so make the choice of wedding gown count by picking out something flattering and breath-taking. One of the most important things to consider is the shape of your body. Here’s how to pick a wedding gown that will feel like it’s made for you alone.
Take your body measurements. If you’re buying your wedding gown off-the-rack, you have to take your measurements and present it to a professional shopper at the wedding gown store to help you choose a shape-flattering wedding gown. If you’re having your wedding gown made, it goes without saying that your measurements be taken and written down for complete accuracy.
- Know your body shape. Thumb through fashion or bridal magazines or get on the internet for helpful hints and tips. Here are some insights to guide you:
- Pear-shaped women have fleshy thighs, round buttocks, a well-defined waist, and modest chest. Simply put, women who are pear-shaped are slim on top and heavy on the bottom. If you are pear-shaped the type of wedding gown that will suit you is something that is designed with a full and swirly skirt, empire-cut to flatter your modest chest, and strappy to accentuate your sexy collarbone. If you are feeling particularly shy about baring your arms, choose a wedding gown with delicate sleeves.
- Curvy women are leggy and voluptuous in all the right places that the problem in choosing a wedding gown would be spilling out of a wedding dress. Indeed, showing too much cleavage is never appropriate for a bride walking down the aisle. If you are the curvy type you can wear almost any kind of wedding gown of your choosing but here are some design suggestions anyway. A wedding gown with a corset is perfect. A close second would be a halter-necked wedding gown. Rounding out the top three choices would be a strapless number.
- Slim women are those resembling a supermodel. Dressing slim women with rectangular shapes is relatively easy because there is nothing to hide in terms of bulges. The best wedding gown for this body shape is something draped and flowing like a Grecian goddess. Women who are shaped this way can also wear a strapless and figure-hugging wedding gown without looking vulgar.
- Athletic-shaped women are big-boned with well-defined muscle tones and shapely buttocks. Think about Serena Williams, Venus Williams, or Gabrielle Reece and you will get the picture. This type of body shape is also called an apple shape and will look best dressed in a textured, A-line wedding gown. Another ideal look would be something strapless with a long train. Definitely, women with an athletic build should not wear something poufy or frou-frou.
After figuring out your body shape, it is not enough to decide on just
one design or look for your wedding gown in one day. You must take your
time and go through multiple design suggestions before settling on the
wedding gown that you will proudly wear on the day that is completely,
totally, and utterly all about YOU! Congratulations on getting engaged
and a toast to you on your coming wedding!