Preserving that special baby outfit is important in order to keep your baby's clothes in good condition for years. Every parent has some kind of sentimental clothes that they want to keep safe, perhaps the baby's coming home outfit from the hospital or a christening gown. Regardless of which memory you are trying to keep preserved, if you follow these easy steps you should be able to keep your baby's clothes in fantastic condition.
- First you should make sure that the clothes are freshly laundered or dry cleaned. Next, wrap your baby clothes into acid-free tissue paper that will keep the clothes from yellowing. Always use high quality archival materials to store such important items to keep them well protected.
- Place the wrapped clothes in canvas box or a box made out of cast polypropylene that is used in storing archival items. The canvas box offers plenty of protection, but for the ultimate protection out there, it's not a bad idea to store it in the cast polypropylene box. This will keep bugs and rodents from getting into the box.
- Wash your hands thoroughly as to make sure that you do not get anything on the clothes. Remove any metal buttons to avoid any corrosion or staining on the outfit.
- Make sure to label the box with what's inside it, the date of the even the baby wore the clothes and which child wore it if you are planning on having more children. Attaching a picture of the item will give you an exact idea of what is inside the box and prevent you from opening and closing the box unnecessarily.
- The last step is to store the box in a cool, dry and dark place. Avoid any areas that have extreme temperatures like attics, basements or garages. Ideally, you would be able to store it in an interior area that is away from exterior walls and plumbing in case some of them burst and could cause water damage. Inspect the garments once a year for any staining and if there are stains, make sure to treat them properly. Minimize creases and stress to the clothes by refolding them differently.
Make sure you keep your baby's clothes in pristine condition by following these simple and easy instructions. Although your memories of your children may last a lifetime, sometimes other things require more effort on our part to make sure they last longer than memories.