Men . . . you have found the perfect woman . . . and, yes, she does exist. Visions of treasuring every day with her, building a life together, and maybe even having children start to grow and expand from the very first conversation with her. That makes you a romantic soul, and with that comes a wonderful responsibility.
Propose to her in one of the most romantic, well-known landmarks in the United States. Immortalized in movies such as An Affair to Remember and Sleepless in Seattle, your heart will be in the right place and you will be "golden" for many years to come. Especially during an argument where the tension needs to be lightened up, you remind her of that one moment in time when the two of you knew, you just knew, it was meant to be.
Make it perfect by remembering the following:
- Plan ahead. Unless you live in New York City, this will be part of your overall sight-seeing adventures. In order to keep your nonchalance intact, check beforehand the days and times the observation deck is open. Online, you can go to the official Empire State Building website and get all the information you need. Do this instead of creating a Plan B.
- Bring the ring. If you are going to give her an engagement ring, bring it along. Sounds simple but such a little thing can be forgotten in haste. A lot of couples do like to pick out rings together. If this is what you will be looking at for later, at least bring along a pearl ring to place on her finger. Then explain to her your thoughts of having her pick out the exact ring she would like to wear for your years together.
- Create a decoy. If you think she might have even the slightest inkling of what is happening, stall before getting to the Empire State Building. Suggest going for breakfast, or lunch, or dinner, depending on your schedule, before heading there. You can always go for a celebratory drink and appetizers afterwards.
- Money. Make sure you have enough money or have purchased the tickets ahead of time for both of you. Do not ask her to pay for her ticket. This may sound a little chauvinistic, but, hey, let's go the whole nine yards in being the gentleman!
- Act normal. Women are very perceptive -- you might as well accept that early on. If you are acting anything other than your normal, or abnormal, way, she will notice and become suspicious. After all, you are in one of the most romantic cities in the United States.
- Sightsee first. Once you have made it to the top of the Empire State Building, continue to throw off any suspicion by doing all your sightseeing from the observation deck before proposing. But when you are ready, and sure there is no turning back . . .
- Propose to her. Let her wander off to look out over the city one more time. Take a deep breath, calm your shaking legs and rapid heartbeat, and walk up behind her. Whisper in her ear . . . "will you please spend the rest of your life with me?" And wait. Her answer will come quickly!
Men . . . this can be your best moment . . . relish it and enjoy this memory with her forever. But, remember, take pictures too. Don't be afraid to ask one of the many other sightseers to take a lasting memory of you and your new fiance on the observation deck of the Empire State Building, New York City, New York, United States of America!