How many people do you know who have been married fifty years? They usually show up in your local paper with a 'before and after' picture - look pretty good too! Marriage is not a new thing. God prepared a helpmate for Adam and they stayed together one hundred and thirty years. So what's fifty? Many preachers, authors, and counselors say the family is in crises. This is so. Couples wage a battle for their very existence. We must commit to our marriage. It's our lifeline.
Some studies show the main cause of divorce is money or sex. When you married were you rich? Were you without passion? We may marry for convenience, but we stay together for love. Time is essential for love to mature in our heart and attitude.
Causes of Conflict:
- Anger. Control your anger. Find a way to stop arguing. Walk away. Stop talking. One cannot argue alone. Without fuel the fire will die. In five years you won't remember what the fight was about.
- Arguing without resolution. Never go to bed mad. That's a killer of affection and you won't have to sleep alone.
- Finance. One of you controls money better than the other, let them do it! Cut up credit cards at once. Some of the free credit counselors are helpful. Try something you'll find an answer.
- Sex. Love your spouse and tell them. Talk about your problem. Have a date night.
- Be a servant. An attitude of caring, concern, and help will create a strong love.
- Humor. Smile a lot. Read funnies. Tell a clean joke. Remember the fun times.
- Cook a meal. The first one who gets home start supper. Have something boiling by the time your spouse gets home. A good smell gives us a feeling of well being.
- Pray. There is a higher power who will help you.
Benefits of fifty years: comfort, security, peace, longer life, and healthier body and mind.
Please understand I realize living with another person is work. I believe women are strong and men are courageous. We need each other. Keep your home safe.
Benediction of the Apaches:
"Now you will feel no rain
For each of you will be shelter to the other
Now you will feel no cold
For each of you will be warmth to the other.
Now there is no more loneliness for you.
Now there is no more loneliness.
Now you are two bodies
But there is only one life between you.
Go now to your dwelling place,
To enter into the days of your togetherness.
And may your days be good and long upon this earth!"