Being married to a trucker is quite difficult and it needs a strong woman to be able to withstand the almost regular week-long separation. Your husband is away most of the time and you are left with the running of the household, and if there are kids, then the caring for them. Your husband may not be around to do some tasks intended to be done by the male in the house. This is your man's job and since you already know what his job is and what is involved in being a trucker's wife before you married him, then you have to take a very active part in staying married to your trucker husband. The following tips are meant to give you an idea on how to do just that. Do read on.
- Trust your husband. This is the most important thing. Your husband is performing his job as a trucker, which necessitates him being away from home six or seven days for a long haul. Trust him to be working just as much as he trusts you to be waiting for him when he comes back from a long trip.
- Prepare a treat for him when he comes home. It will be seldom that he can enjoy a good home-cooked meal and having his favorite dishes will be something he can look forward to after a tiring week on the road.
- Do something special on his day off. If you have children arrange for someone to look after them so that you and your husband can enjoy some free time together without the kids demanding for your attention. You can prepare a romantic dinner for two in the comfort of your home or have a night out, maybe have dinner in a favorite restaurant and a movie afterwards. This will help your husband to relax and enjoy your company.
- Give your husband a call at designated times while he is on the road. The cell phone is your most friendly and convenient tool to communicate with each other. You do not need to call him frequently but you can schedule your call at pre-arranged times so that you can stay in touch with each other. You can also have the kids talk to their father to cheer him up.
- Involve your husband in major decisions even if he is not around. When you need to make a decision and your husband is on the road, you can always call and consult him. He may not be physically present but calling him will make him feel the connection between him and his family and he can contribute to the decision making process.
- Do not remain inactive because your husband is away. Take up a new hobby or learn something new or maybe get a part time job that you can do at home. Be sure to get your husband's consent if you decide to work, even if it is only a part time job. You will not only contribute to the family coffers, you also enrich your mind and pave the way for positive thoughts.
- Make it a point to go out with the kids when your husband is off duty at least once a month so that you can keep the family bond stronger and the kids will have enough quality time with their father.
Be sure to enjoy the time that your husband is at home. And thank him for being careful and safe. Show interest in his job by asking questions relevant to being a trucker, as well as about the interesting things that a trucker encounters while on the road.