Children surely do not yet understand people's differences. This is why they often go beyond their boundaries. As a result, they come out to be disrespectful and insensitive to other people's feelings. Worse, they come out to be victims of other people. But, their young minds are not an excuse for them to continue going beyond their boundaries. Hence, as a parent, you are responsible to make them understand this common situation in people.
So now, what you must do is to effectively teach your kids about boundaries. This way, they will end up having a good relationship with all the people around them. To help you with this, here are some effective tips you can consider:
- Let them understand that not all people are like them. When setting boundaries, it is important that your children understand that people have different traits and thoughts about something. Hence, not all people will accept you and treat you well. With this understanding, your kids will learn to be more careful when dealing with other people.
- Engage in a conversation with your children. It will also be helpful for your kids to learn about boundaries if you talk to them from time to time. Evaluate their habits and see whatever needs to be stopped. Discuss this clearly to each kid and teach him how to properly do some things. However, make sure that they understand why there is a need to set a particular boundary over something. For instance, if your child hugs just anyone at school, tell him that some children simply don't want to be touched especially by someone they hardly know.
- Give examples to your children. Examples need not always be true stories. More often than not, you can make up a story to teach them about their boundaries. For instance, if you want to teach your children about the kind of friends they need to have, think of a story that will interest them the most so that they can pick up the lessons with ease.
- Help them learn through experience. If your child has experienced something negative out of not caring about other people's boundaries, use the situation to teach him an important lesson. Though the damage is already done, at least your child will know that it will not be fine to do it again to anyone else.
- Warn them about possible boundary issues. These can be boundaries that your children must follow when dealing with other people. Or, these can be boundaries that your children need to observe when other people are dealing with them. For instance, they must know their limitations when picking friends, when inviting friends over, and the like. With this, once they encounter the situation, they already know what to do.
Indeed, when your children know their boundaries, their life as a child will not be compromised anymore. With them knowing how to respect other people and knowing their limitations, they surely will grow into responsible and good adults in the future.