A baby video monitor is a must-have for parents who want to give a high level of safety for their child. Here is how to use a baby video monitor.
- Know the function of a baby video monitor. A baby video monitor records the motions of babies for safety purposes, may they be newborns, infants, toddlers, preschoolers, and young children. Using a baby video monitor makes you see whatever is going on with your baby, even though you are not there with him. You also avoid disturbing the baby, especially if he is resting, or if he is concentrating on a task.
- Know how a baby video monitor operates. A baby video monitor captures movements as well as sounds made by your child. It makes use of a camera and a microphone to record what your child does and also scan his environment. A transmitter sends the data from the video input, and the receiver has a screen where you could see your child. You can plug the receiver into your television set or carry around a portable screen with you to see the video output. A connection monitor shows whether signals are being received properly.
- Know what to look for in a baby video monitor. Video monitors give more detailed feedback about the child's situation than audio monitors. However, the quality of the picture may not be as clear as what you see in a regular television screen. The most important characteristic to consider is that you must see your baby's facial features, especially the eyes. This will make you see your baby's expressions and know if he needs urgent attention.
- Know how a baby video monitor keeps track of your baby. A baby video monitor can have several cameras and transmitters. This way, you can monitor different rooms to know where your baby has gone. Some video monitors automatically switch open when movement or pressure detectors receive signals that your child is in the room. Voice activated baby video monitors open only when sound is detected, saving electricity.
- Know how a baby video monitor calls your attention. A baby video monitor can alert you in many ways. It can sound an alarm or vibrate when unusual activity or sound levels are detected. Video monitors can also connect to your cell phone and call you when there is something unusual.
- There are night vision baby video monitors. Baby video monitors can record your baby even when the lights are dim. Night vision is done with infrared lights, which illuminates dark areas and objects for up to 5 feet. Some baby video monitors with night vision make the video switch to this feature automatically when you turn off the lights.
- Check out baby video monitor sizes. Receivers vary in sizes. Portable baby video monitors are small, measuring about two inches high and three inches long. Non-portable monitors measure up to seven inches. However, these monitors can be plugged into a regular TV. Composite monitors allow you to have several screens to view different areas of the house simultaneously.
If you have any questions about the baby video monitor, read the manual or ask the seller. Always remember that though baby video monitors are a great help in watching over your baby, the best guarantee of protection is still your personal presence.