Decades from now, if people will create a documentary about the things and developments that shaped the first years of the 21st century, Facebook will certainly find its way on the list. Facebook is simply a powerful tool for connecting people together, and it has proved to be a bridge to reconnect people with friends that they never thought they'd hear from again. Of course, you could also use Facebook to reconnect with your family members too! Here are some of the best ways that you could use Facebook to plan a family reunion:
- Create an account. If you don't have one already, hey, what's stopping you? It's totally free, and as long as you have a computer and internet connection, easily accessible.
There are two options to start with Facebook. The first is to have your own personal page, and the second is to have a fan page. By all means you could do both. All you'd need to do is to go to the Facebook website, and then create a page by following the simple, guided instructions there.
- Invite your family members. Once you have an account, be it your personal one or a fan page, it's time you start hunting for your family members. Facebook makes this process very simple. You could start by looking up the name of a family member through the search option (if you can't find him through his name, you could search for him via his email address). Once you've gotten hold of that family member, invite him to be your friend. Another alternative to this hunting process is by browsing through the friends of a family member that you're already friends with. You might be able to find other family members through this list.
- Know the different features in Facebook that would let you message with your family members. If you have a personal page, you could send a private message to all your family members; if you have a fan page, you could write on the wall or start a group discussion. All family members who are members of the fan page will receive updates whenever you post something on the fan page wall.
- Stir up enthusiasm for the event. It is important that you make regular additions and updates to your page in order to stir up enthusiasm for your reunion. Some of the ways to do this is by regularly changing the status of your fan page (ex. "Ten days to go before you-know-what!"), posting family pictures of previous events, and writing on the wall. You should also increase the levels of involvement for the reunion planning: one way is to create a quiz that would let your family members choose the type of family reunion that they would like. Of course, let your family feel welcome to write on the wall themselves so they would be able to let everyone know of their input/ suggestions on the reunion.
- Invite your family members to RSVP on the event. You could encourage your family members to block off the date of the family reunion their calendar by inviting them to either decline or accept your invitation. This way, you also would be able to have a comprehensive list of those who are attending and those who are not.
- Make sure that as many family members as possible are regularly checking their Facebook account. Of course, it wouldn't serve its purpose if your family members weren't checking their accounts at all. Otherwise, it might be best that you use other strategies with getting in touch with your family.
There you have it! These are just some of the best ways to use Facebook to plan a family reunion. Good luck, and hope this helped!