With all of the reports surfacing about chemicals in our water, produce, and meat products, it is no wonder that new research is being done on the cosmetics market as well. Over 60% of what we put on our skin gets absorbed and travels right to our bloodstream, so ingredients should be a key factor when shopping.
One often overlooked, but potentially hazardous product, is common lip balm. Lip balm keeps your lips from chapping, tastes nice, but depending on the brand you use, could contain ingredients that lead to many types of cancers. That's why using organic lip balm is a healthy alternative for lip care. If you suffer from dry and chapped lips, you should look into using a natural lip moisturizer. Here is a list of lip balms that are natural and the most beneficial for you, too.
- Burt's Bees is one of the most well-known natural lip balm makers around. Their classic beeswax lip balms can be found in stores all over the US and all over the world. The bit of peppermint in the formula gives your lips a nice cooling tingle when you first apply it, only adding to its popularity. We must not forget the other lip goodies that Burt's Bees makes, such as their Lifeguard's Choice Lip Balm, fruit flavored Lip Gloss, and Lip Shimmers for just a hint of color.
- Eco Lips' unique collection of various lip balms is made from organic ingredients. If you are the sporty type, you can even buy lip balms with a clip attached or a neoprene holder to keep your protection close at hand. With classic, beeswax-free, medicinal, hemp, and SPF-powered balms, anyone can easily find one that fits his or her lifestyle.
- Juice Beauty burst onto the cosmetics scene just a few years ago, but they have gained a huge following in just a short time. Their organic SPF 15 mineral-tinted lip moisturizers have a lightly fruity flavor and will work with any skin tone. If you are looking for sun protection, and a hint of flavor and color, Juice Beauty has what you need.
- The Merry Hempsters' entire collection of lip products is made from organic hemp seed oil. Their classic hemp lip balm comes in five different flavors and their SPF version has four other unique flavors as well. For the uber-eco folks out there, they even have a vegan hemp lip balm with four flavors. Being animal-friendly and moisture-savvy has never been easier. If you are a bit unsure of how your skin will react to hemp or you just aren't sure if you are going to like the flavor or texture, using one of these lip balms is the best way to experiment.
- BeesWork's five delicious lip balm flavors are also made with all-natural ingredients, including beeswax, jojoba oil, and vitamin E. Each flavor has a blend of natural oils that can help cure what ails your tired lips. Moisture and protection? Go with the Red Mandarin Peel. Got a cold or venturing into extreme weather? Use the Eucalyptus version. Headache or sunburn? Lavender can help with that. Need a nice flavor and a bit of pampering? Reach for Vanilla Mint. Last but not least, if you are looking for moisture and a hint of color, try their new Red Roses Lip Rouge.
- Aveda is the most popular upscale, environmentally-oriented brand. Walking through the mall, I'm sure you have seen one of their stores and been tempted to venture inside. Though they have a great collection of lip cosmetics, such as shine, glaze, crème, and sheer tint, their classic lip balm is not to be passed over. Called Lip Saver SPF 15, the name even gives you a sense that your lips are going to be saved from all the evils that they will encounter.
- The Body Shop is the other popular natural brand that you can find easily in the malls around the world. They have a fantastically diverse selection when it comes to taking care of your lips. If you need SPF protection, you can choose from a vitamin C- or vitamin E-enhanced balm. On the very natural side of the spectrum, you can find a hemp lip balm, as well as a cocoa butter one, and a lip balm whose proceeds go to the National Domestic Violence Hotline. If you want a bit more flavor on your lips, you can easily choose from their collection of eleven lip balms and butters. If flavor is your thing, then you will have no problem finding a lip balm that is just right for you.
- Dr. Bronner's is well-known for their 18-use organic liquid soaps. If that fact has already caught your interest, then their other product line, Sun Dog's Magic, will be of interest as well because they carry four tasty organic lip balms. Certified organic flavors--orange ginger, peppermint, lemon lime, and "naked"--will give you everything your lips need with only a few ingredients all packed into one organic lip balm.
- Fruits&Passion is a brand from Canada that is starting to make a big impression in the United States. Their natural lip butters are a great way to indulge in their great products without spending an arm and a leg. Each shade has a sheer color gloss and a particular ingredient that will help you rehydrate, regenerate, plump, soothe, or just keep out those pesky UV rays.
- Kiss My Face is a major player in the all-natural cosmetics market. From shampoos and conditioners to toothpaste, deodorant and lip balm, these folks are "obsessively natural." They made sure to cover all the bases when it comes to lip protection: SPF 15, tasty flavor, good price, and a variety of choices.
- You may have never heard of Shea Terra Organics, but they are worth checking out. In the lip balm department, they have four flavors different than those of any other brand listed. Made from 25% shea butter, golden beeswax, virgin coconut crème oil, vitamin E, and all natural flavors, these lip balms are tasty and calorie-free (they use natural sweeteners), too.
With these lip care tips, you're on your way to selecting a natural lip moisturizer.