If you are a male who is struggling with hair loss, you may want to try Propecia, which is an oral medication that has been effective in helping many people to regrow their hair. Propecia is available only by prescription so talk to your physician to see if this is an appropriate option for your condition. If so, here are some things you should know about how this treatment works:
- Most patients take one 1 mg tablet a day of Propecia or finasteride.
- Propecia works to lower the amount of a male hormone called Dihydrotestosterone, or DHT, that can be found in your bloodstream and also in the skin near your scalp. DHT reduces the size of hair follicles in the scalp. By reducing the concentration of DHT, you can stop the balding in its tracks. In addition, you may be able to regain some of the hair that you lost.
- Studies have found a dramatic increase in the number of hairs on the heads of people who use Propecia over the long term. Propecia helps stop your hair from receding in your crown area and through the top area of your head and may also help you to regrow your hair in your crown. The drug may not be as effective on the receded areas on the front of your head.
- Plan to make a commitment to take this medication for a year or longer. Propecia works over time, so you will not see any results right away. Hair loss should begin to decrease within three months. Hair should start coming back in by the end of one year or more on this medication.
- You must continue taking Propecia even after it has worked on you. If you stop using this medication, the results will reverse and you could end up back where you started.
- Learn about the possible side effects involved in taking this medication. Some patients who have tried this drug have experienced a decreased sexual drive and mild pain in the groin area, but over time these reactions may go away as your body adjusts.
- Ask your physician if taking a topical medication such as Rogaine or a similar formulation along with Propecia will make it even more effective. Some people have had good results by using a two-pronged strategy to combat hair loss.