Gianni Versace was a gifted fashion pioneer whose innovations to design, advertising and modeling brought him well-earned respect, wealth and fame in the industry. He was born in Italy in 1946, where he learned much of the basics of design from his mother. After being hired at a number of small fashion houses, Versace presented his own lines of women's and men's fashions. These shows generated great reviews, and soon the House of Versace was born.
Gianni worked closely with his younger sister, Donatella. The Versace line continued to grow and expand, and they became household names. Versace worked with stars like Madonna, Prince, Jon Bon Jovi and Elton John, and even designed outfits for Diana, Princess of Wales. After being hired to design the clothing for the TV drama Miami Vice, Gianni moved to Miami Beach. It was while returning home from a walk one morning that he was gunned down by serial killer Andrew Cunanan in 1997.
Brother Santo Versace was named the new CEO of the Versace brand while Donatella took over the design. Since then Versace has continued to grow and thrive, expanding into even more markets, including a chain of deluxe resort hotels that are popping up across the globe.
Versace clothing is the very definition of style. Elaborate fabrics and innovative design combine to create pieces that are both functional and edgy. If you're in the market for some designer duds, here are some tips to help you shop for Gianni Versace clothes and other items:
- Original designs from Gianni Versace can still be found through auctions, resellers and sometimes online. Many of these items have collector's value, but buyer beware--make sure that what you're purchasing is truly an original piece of Versace fashion.
- Versace's trademark pieces include tightly woven metallic items, beaded bustiers, cat suits, tights that are worn as pants and neckties made from lush fabric in bold colors. Versace suits are a status symbol for men all over the world.
- Fashion accessories are an integral part of the Versace line. Shoes, belts, handbags, eyewear and jewelry are all featured in every collection.
- Other collections include fragrance and personal care lines for men and women, watches and a home collection.
- For Versace on a budget, check out the many outlet stores all over the United States. To find one near you, search online for local retailers. There are also many outlet stores in Italy, where you'll be able to find high-end designer fashions and other pieces from the previous year's collection at vast discounts.
- To find a Versace retailer near you, check out Versace.com.