When choosing a long hair style, there are many things you need to take into consideration to ensure a flattering style. A little bit of research and self-examination beforehand can mean the difference between fabulous hair and a hair disaster.
- Learn your face shape. The face of your shape will be one of the biggest factors in how a long hair style looks on you. A round face will need a hair style to slim your features while a long face is best suited to a hair style with bangs to shorten its appearance.
- Your hair type is also a contributing factor in choosing a long hair style. Is your hair curly or straight? Is it fine or thick? A full and sleek hair style will take a fair bit of styling savvy if your hair is curly and fine. For best results, you should choose a long hair style that will work with, not against, your hair type.
- How much time do you want to spend? This is another consideration when choosing a long hair style. If you're not particularly hair savvy or if you suffer a time crunch in the morning, an elaborate hair style might leave you frustrated and facing a lot of bad hair days. Choosing a simple style that you can manage is a better bet for those of you that like to look great but don't want to commit a large chunk of your morning routine to getting that look.
- Once you have a rough idea of what you're looking for, it's time to hit the magazines. Hair style magazines and weekly publications are a great source for up-to-date hair style trends. Pay close attention to the person's face shape and hair type to be sure it's a match for your needs and read any blurbs accompanying the cut for styling requirements and tips.
- Once you have a picture of what you want, clip out any pictures (taking two or three is a good idea) and take them with you to your salon visit. Having a clear example of the long hair style you want will ensure you and your stylist are on the same page when it comes to your new cut.
- Ask for professional advice. When consulting with your stylist, ask her what will be involved in styling this new long hair style. Again, you'll want to make sure you can recreate the look at home so be wary of complicated styles if you're not willing to commit to the work needed.
- Products make the difference. The key to great look long hair styles is usually in the products and styling tools used. Have your stylist blow-dry your new cut and explain, while she styles your hair, exactly what she's using and doing. You can't expect the same results at home if you don't have the right goods. Be sure to pick up the products and tools you need for use at home.
Choosing the right long hair style does take a little forethought and research but the results are always worth it. You'll have a hair style that looks fabulous on you and that you can wear with confidence.