We've all experienced acne breakouts at one time or another followed by pure frustration. Frustration from the embarrassment they cause in the first place and at the medicated acne products that didn't quite do their job.
So what exactly is acne and what causes it? Acne is an inflammation of the sebaceous glands that give off an oily substance also known as sebum. While the exact cause of acne is not known, there are a number of things that do trigger it. An increase in hormones, stress, cosmetics, pollution in the air and genetics are all said to be factors that can trigger acne. There is also no proof that certain foods like chocolate or French fries cause acne. You can make it worse however by picking at your pimples.
Now that we have a better understanding of acne, the next step should be finding the right skin care products for acne.
- The most popular skin care product for treating acne is cleansers. Once just used for simple cleansing, companies have begun including acne medications in their cleanser products. The two-in-one skin care cleansers not only help in treating acne, but they remove dirt, oil and makeup as well, and are a good choice for all skin types.
- Another popular choice skin care product for acne treatment is medicated cleansing pads. The pads help to medicate the acne while also removing excess dirt and oil. If you have dry or sensitive skin, the pads should be used with caution since they generally contain salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide that can irritate and dry out the skin if used repeatedly.
- Acne soap can be an ideal skin care product for treatment of acne, but those with dry or sensitive skin should use caution when considering this method since soap can be drying to the skin.
- Gels and creams are another good skin care product for acne since they generally contain a stronger version of the ingredients found in other acne skin care products and are safe for all skin types when used in moderation.
- Acne lotions are also another good solution for skin since they not only help fight acne, but also moisturize which can be very beneficial for dry skin types.
To maximize your acne skin care regimen, you might consider a combination of the skin care products listed above. Just remember to use them in moderation if you have sensitive or dry skin since they do contain ingredients that can irritate and dry out the skin.
- To begin your acne skin care regimen, start by applying a medicated cleanser or soap to the skin using your fingertips and working in a gentle circular motion on the face. Washing twice a day is adequate enough since skin can become dry and irritated from excessive use of acne products. Next rinse your face with warm water to thoroughly remove the cleanser or soap and pat your face gently with a soft towel.
- Apply cream or gel to the affected areas of your face if desired. If you prefer a lotion instead of the cream or gel, apply it with your fingertips in a circular motion to your entire face. If you've decided on a medicated cleansing pad, follow the directions indicated on the bottle and use pads sparingly, especially if you have sensitive or dry skin.
- Finally, remember most over-the-counter acne products take at least two weeks before you will begin seeing results, so keeping with your acne skin care regimen is very important.
If you have a serious acne problem, consulting a dermatologist can be beneficial since she will be able to prescribe a skin care product that will help your acne. However, no acne medication, whether prescribed or over the counter, will give you instant results, but with a proper skin care regimen and time, the results will be worth the effort and your skin will thank you.